Raising Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by klemsontigers7, Jan 16, 2006.

1. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    I have all the tanks and all I need for raising goldfish but would like to know what to feed them. Do I need to buy fishfood at walmart? These fish will probably be the really small feeder fish from the petstore, that are sold to feed to fish in big ponds. Any info from anyone that's raised goldfish would be appreciated.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Yes the regular goldfish flakes you can buy at wallyworld works good.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I never thought about that. I get feeders for my Clown Knife and gar. I wonder how fast they would grow to get about 3-4" for the flathead snack size? I get them they are about 1" long.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    greg the best place i have found to get them for raising is pet smart 12 for a buck and if you can get them right after a shipment you can luck up and get some up to 2 inches long but the larger ones are the first to go. some people will let you pick the ones you want some will just dip up what they catch.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    flatheadhunter Im planing on raiseing some also and was thinking of getting a livestock watering trough the one i was looking at is i think 250gal its 2'h x 2'w x 8' L was thinking of get some goldfish the size you are talking about and start it of with maybe 100 fish and add as i use em up maybe fifty at a time. And then seeing that I'm relandscaping my backyard thinking of putting in 800 to 1000 gal pond in to put them in after they get to 2" or 3" to grow out to 4" to 6"i about how long do you think that all takes. how long between say3" to 6"

6. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    RIVERBUD,i am not sure of the formula but ideally i think it is about 3 or 4 inches of fish per gallon of water if it is overcrowded it will slow them down. the feeders grow fairly quick during the summer here in sc in the winter not as fast because you dont feed yr round. when the water gets in the 60's they will stop eating then you stop feeding till it warms back up. they cant digest food in cold temps. i have some inside that i keep the water at 78 degrees and feed twice a day that i bought that were a inch long maybe 4 months ago that a couple have already reached 4 to 5 inches. i feed them flakes till they are about 2 inches them go to small floating koi pellets then about 3 to 4 inches i use trout chow pellets. that what they raise trout on here in the hatcheries which has nutrients in it to help them grow faster. the pellets are alittle larger than a bb so as soon as their mouth is large enough that is what i feed them a 50 lb bag is like 16 bucks here so its alot cheaper than goldfish food. any body at a local pet shop can tell you more about them. i been using them for yrs and you just learn things as you go. there is a place online that is located in arkansas i think you can buy them 4 to 6 inches long for i think its 65 cents each but you have to buy like 300 dollars worth at a time. to get them shipped to you.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have a 75 gallon tank here at the house and i have 6 goldfish all around 5 to 10 inches long. You can feed them flakes until they get about 3 inches long. Then if you want to see some real growing start to feed them pieces of bread and begin feeding them worms. I have notice a size change in the goldfish in about 2 or 3 months. But my bigguns have been alive for about 2 years

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    i know the ones i have inside will tear a red worm up lol. they like cheese also.

9. Burks

Burks New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just regular flakes will do fine. Been raising goldfish nearly my whole life. Goldfish seem to do rather well in crowded tanks compared to other fish. Dad keeps his pond goldfish indoors during the winter. Probably 15-17 of them 5"+ in a 50gal tank. Did have over 20 but a few died due to birds and such catching them during the summer.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yes you can overload goldfish in a tank but it is dangerous. The ammonia levels will get high and the fish will become sick, which means you have to have a PH kit to level it off. And also have the fluid in the tank to take the chlorine out of the water. The key is to keep the levels down and you will have healthy fish

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I keep shad alive in a tank during the winter. The tank is a 350 gallon plastic chemical tank from the local water treatment plant. I carefully cleaned it and allowed it to air dry after cutting the top out of it.

I used a swamp cooler water pump for circulation with the water being directed to flow through a basket holding a carbon filter. I also inserted a 300W submersable aquarium water heater to prevent freezing.

I allow the chlorine to dissapate after filling it with tapwater, add 2 cups of non-iodized salt and allow the shad to feed on the algae that grow in the tank.

Would this set-up work to raise goldfish from the little "feeder" sized fish to bait size?

The shad are hard to keep alive after the water temperature rises above 70 degrees.

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Years ago, when I was a kid, I had 4 gold fish in a small bowl for pets. I decided to turn them loose, so I took them to a stock pond behind the house that had been drained the year before, so it had no fish in it. The pond was about an acre in size and 5 feet deep.After setting them free I didn't think about them anymore for a couple of years until one day I saw them in the shallow end of the pond, they were huge, I told dad about it and we got a little 25 ft minnow siene and made a pass through the pond. Must have caught 200 3 to 5 inch gold fish in one drag. Between us and a bunch of friends there is no telling how many gold fish were taken out of that old pond over the years for trotline bait. Funny thing was not many were gold, most were kind of a drab green, still great bait. Dad put 5 flathead cat fish in the pond that wieghed around 1 pound each, we caught them out 3 years later and they weighed 15 to 17 pounds each. Finally had to fill in the pond to make room for a building but I've been meaning to stock another one with gold fish some time. I do have a small pond that's got golden shiners in it, can usually take an ultralight spinning rig and catch a couple of dozen 8 to 10 inch shiners for bait in no time, but they aren't near as tough as goldfish.

13. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 2 ponds about the size of an average swimming pool. I raise goldfish in these. I also have some small aquariums. In the spring I put out mop heads. They will lay eggs on these. I remove them and place them into the small fish tanks, and began to feed blended chicken eggs. After they get about 1 inch long they go back to general population. there they are fed floating fish food that I buy at the local feed store in 50 pound bags. The small fry grow at different rates it is important to get the larger ones out daily. They will eat the rest very quickly. I also have a 400 gallon concrete tank that I use for all fish that are ready for a hook.

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In my area, there is a growing trend to have outdoor ponds included in your landscaping. There is nothing more tranquil and relaxing than to hear the flowing water in the back ground while grilling out and watching the sunset. These ponds are a catfishermans delight to always have some gold fish or other bait fish for when ever the urge hits to go fishing.
    Given the larger water volume, gold fish will grow fast. You do not need to over crowd, just throw in a few sun fish and or a small striper as nature will takes its effect. It is always interesting to watch the more aggressive fish feed first as you throw in a few floating Koi pellets to get them started in a feeding frenzy. The floating gold fish flakes just eventually clog up your filters so I will not use it.
    I have 2 ponds now and it has been an education not only on upkeep of water quality but with various fish species and aquatic plants of what goes in them. I feel that a lot can be learned by having them that will make you a better fisherman and outdoorsman to appreciate natures ways.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    There is a little pond(30 feet in diameter and maybe 6-8 feet deep in center) behind my condo in the woods. Ive caught a few 1 lb bass out of there and have seen some very small bream. Ive been wondering if I put in maybe 10-20 dozen goldfish how they would do. Havent done it yet because I figured the bass and bream would eat them. So do you think they would survive if i just fed them? and if so how fast of a growth rate can i expect

16. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    outside down your way they may eat yr round so they may grow pretty quick if they dont get ate.

17. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I was thinking about raising some goldfish myself but can't find out if its illegel to fish with them in south carolia or not. DOES ANYONE KNOW??

thanks in advance for the info
    GARY

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I feed mine cheap dry cat food. Throw in a handfull and watch em slam it. Dont worry about the size, it will soften in the water and they will eat it. I watched my pond fish double in size in a very short time. If the fish are really small get some fish food from feed store. Its usually cheap and comes in a 50lb bag. Anyone who deals purina should be able to get it.

Good luck