Raising goldfish

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 19, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    we all heard of goldfish being a good bait, have any of you raised your own since buying big ones are so expensive, went to walmart tonight and saw the ones that are only 3-4 inches are 5 bucks, wowzers.... and low and behold the ones bellow that were barley one inch were .29, so i just had a thought in my head, ive got a huge tank in my storage unit, why not go to a generic fish store where you can buy bags of like several 12 little ones for a flat price and just overwelm them with food, i hear goldfish can get biiiiiig if you feed them to much, just a though

:0a36:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mickey unless you are willing to change the water ever day or 2 you are going to have to build a pond to raise goldfish.even if all you are going to do is feed then till their big enough to fish with.goldfish and all other fish put out a lot of chemicals that poison the water they live in and causes death in only a short time.if you are realy serious about raising them go to your local libary and read up on the dos and donts.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    mikey, you also have to remember that the little .29 cent goldfish are feeder goldfish meaning that they are only ment to live a short time. Because some have gene problems or some other abnormality. IMO if you want to raise goldfish go for the really expensive ones like rare koi and Cull the good ones and then you can sell them and keep the other less pricey ones for bait. If properly care for you should have more then you could ever need.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I bought a few dozen of the small gold fish from Walmart, thew them into a natural pond in my back yard thats about 26' long, 22' wide and 4 foot deep. They lived for several years, but never reproduced. Guess I got all gay goldfish...LOL. They sure splashed around at breeding time, but nada.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    AwShucks,

It's probably one of those deals to where the general population is "sterilized" and can't breed...Kinda like seed production....They do that to cut down on competition....You would probably have to buy some expensive "breeders" before you raised a batch....Just guessing....Dwight

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Shop around you can sometimes get these feeder goldfish for around 15 cent each. If you can get a 30 gallon fish tank you can keep them alive. Gold fish are considered "dirty fish" meaninig the have a lot of waste product(urine etc). Hence when you where a little kid and got that little gold fish in a bowl it usually died within 2 weeks. If you do 1/4 water changes every other day get yourself a good filter and feed them sparingly you will do fine. Thats if you wanna go thru all that trouble. :smile2:

7. hunterchet

hunterchet New Member

State:
    WV
    Around here we have bait shops that sell goldfish by the pound. We can get 10 - 15 for about $6.00. The size you get varies, but on average they are 2 to 5 inches.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the feeders will breed when they get large enough. you are suppose to check the pond or tank or where ever you keep them daily in the spring and remove the goldfish when they lay eggs, because they will eat all the eggs before you know they are in there. alot of people use grass to let the eggs stick to to kind of hide them. the eggs when fertilized will be like a bright neon blue so they stick out pretty good. I had a 12 ft kids pool with about 20 koi in it I was trying to breed for bait checked it one morning this past spring and there were looked like thousands of blue dots floating and stuck everywhere so I thought good so I went to work and was gonna remoive the koi when I got home from work but it was to late didnt have any eggs left.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    For those of you who have raised the feeder sized ones - at what rate do they grow. I wouldn't mind buying a slew of them then using them up when I go fishing!

10. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    its easy and simple . and you dont need to change the water that often either . every other day is ridiculus. how ever you spell it . but a 30 gallon fish tank isn't goingto help you . i think i seen some one mentiond it. its just like an aquarium . filteration is key and water movement. they also say i inch of fish for every gallon of water . which i think is still not suffecient. so a 5 inch gold fish technically needs 5 gallons. so 15 5 inch goldfish is 75 gallons . i like to think i am an expert and raising fish . been doing it and breeding fish my whole life. i also wanted to rais my own bait , but just not enough space to do it . if you have any guestions pm me . the changing the water every other day thing . if you change 25 percent every other week . for a couple weeks . then do a 50 percent water change. and while doing this only put like one fish in. your water will cycle . its called nitrogen cycle .takes about a month. but once you do . your take will stay great clean and clear. even with gold fish . that moth of small water changes alows benifiecal bactiera to grow..... i dont know pm me . if you want to know more....

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    goldfish are very easy to keep in a tank. my tank I have in my house is a 29 gallon tank havent changed any water in 2 yrs just top it off every now and then due to evaporation. water stays crystal clear and I have 9 fish in it now. 1 big black algea eater that is about 9 inches long, 2 blue cats about 5 inches each, 4 6 inch goldfish, 1 carp that is almost 6 inches long and 1 large shiner about 8 inches long. I feed them flakes 3 times a day. I havent even cleaned the filters in prob 6 months. the 12 ft pool I got outside with all the koi in it has had the same water in it for over a yr. now and all I do is feed them.