Raising catfish in wire cages

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dust777man, Feb 12, 2006.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with raising catfish in wire cages? If so how do you make the cage or where can I buy one. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Is this in reference to farm-raising catfish?

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We have a few cattin tournaments up here every year on the Delaware. Just a couple of years back there was a fella that was always winnin the things all the time. A real BUTT WIPE of a guy. Loud drunk talked like he knew everything. Well come to find out he was keepin cats in a cage that he had caught from time to time and he was fattenin them up. He would then use them for the tournaments and walkin away with the $$$$$$. Took a while but he got what he deserved other than an ass whoopin! LOL! This is the only experience I have had with cages for catfish.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    dust777man,

The owner of the property I am on was a catfish Farmer in the 70's and 80's, and still has a few ponds stocked. I got a chance to hear how he ran his operation(s). To be succesful you have to have many ponds, for different stages of growth. At one time he was so succesful, the state of Georgia used his operation as a mold on what works. Of course, over time, competition set in, pushed the price down, he got older, and he lost interest.

Unless you have another need for raising and containing them?

Paul

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That would be my first question Paul! WHY would you want to do this in the first place????

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is no reason to keep a fish in a cage unless you are planning on using them for tourney's.
    Some local guy around here have small swimming pools and even a small pond type deal he made at a small creek on is property where they will keep fish they catch between tourneys. Then they show up with these big fish and walk away with the money. I alerted one tourney director when I found out. He dismissed it as hearsay. He did not want to tell them they were not allowed to fish because it would hurt his profits. Well word got around after I started talking and they quit going there. Then this past fall I heard they were fishing a larger tournament about an hour away from where we live. I have not been able to contact the guy that runs those yet, but I will. Kind of bull when you find out someone has larger fish in a pool feeding them dog food and gills to keep them fat for the tourney's.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    exactly what I was thinking to J.W. WHY???? Lets not and say we did!!!

8. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    ACATS here in Oklahoma require a lie detector test if yer a winner(1st thru 3rd usually).It is posted in the bi-laws and constitution.How accurate is the test and can ya pass it?I dont know,I never won.I believe there are cheaters in my chapter(pre-fishin 24hrs before tournament ect)Just my opinion.:hmm-big:

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I think that it's a shame that the integrety of our sport is diminished by cheating!! All of these a**holes who have to go and ruin it for the rest of us should be shot and sent to burn in hell for eternity!! It really Makes me angry when organizations have to implement lie detector tests to see if the people really caught the fish in that lake on that day. Why can't people just respect the fish and the other anglers and not cheat?

10. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Because it's all about the money.Most a--holes are greedy.The cheaters always get what they deserve,some quickly and some slowly:evil-big:

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I apollogize for my language. It just really makes me angry when I hear about people doing things like that.

12. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

the only thing i have ever seen that even resembles what you are talking was made from that orange nylon mesh that the highway departmant has around holes in roads and such it was used as a live well that hung on the outside of a small boat

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have said it before and I will say it again!!! "A Victory Not EARNED is a Shallow One"

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Seen some guys use old chicken crates, to hold fish in, but that was only if they didn;t have time to clean em that nite

15. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Whoa there guys! I think what he is referring to is raising catfish in a pond to sell commercially. This is the way most successful catfish farms are run. The fish are raised in a large wire enclosure and they grow much faster with less feed than if they are freeroaming. They have a lift system on the cages to harvest the fish.:cool:

16. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check with your local agriculture extension office.

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have been wanting to build a small pen at my dock to transfer baitfish (perch, mudsuckers, ect.) I catch in my trap. Was also thinking the same thing for live shad, just for personel use! Of course in the case of the live perch, I could eat them when they got to big for bait!

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Is there such a thing as too big for bait?

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

Good one!:p :cool:

20. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Alright, I don't know much of anything about catfishing except what I learned at my grandfather's 1.5acre pond. He died when I was in 7th grade so details are getting blurring.

The man never fished tourneys, but did keep the pond stocked and fed. (Perhaps it was one of his old-man hobbies...we're all gonna need a few) He'd use rubbercoated chickenwire and sew them together with trotline in a 5'X5'X5' box. Then he'd make a 5' sqaure out of 4 or 5" PVC, tie that square to the box and dump it in the water with an anchor on it. When he stocked the pond he kept them separated by size. Don't know any of reasoning behide all of it, but it worked. The man had grandson who thought that anything less than 12lbs out that little pond was "small". Wasn't until high school I learned a 12lbs cat was "big".