Rainy night on the Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Been dying to fish, and the wet weather shut the soybean harvesting down. So... off we went to the Big Pee Dee to further test my new to me boat. All systems ran smoothly, but fuel consumption was crazy. We used at least 15 gallons of fuel, which is three times the amount I normally burn with my skiff. I figured that with 90% of my river time idling along, fuel consumption would not be that bad with the 200 Merc with three deuces. Wrong!! :big_smile: Anyhow, I'm gonna sell the big Merc, and buy a smaller engine! :wink: I can hardly wait to get my fuel efficient skiff going again! :cool2: Anyhow, we caught one 12 pound blue, and did I say we used a heap of gas? :smile2: Heck, I may sell the whole boat, motor and trailer and scale down to an 18 foot rig. Life is an experiment, so nothing new here about that. :confused2:
    BB in SC

2. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill U may want to go with a 4-stroke. Try one U make like them.

PeeDee Cat

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya got out Bill!:wink: I enjoyed the chat and you can call Pop Pop anytime. Keep working it my friend and you'll get on them winter cats.:big_smile:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out there Bill, I know how you feel about the fuel! At least gas has gotten cheaper!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    4 strokes are innovative, efficient, and great engines, but they are VERY EXPENSIVE to repair when something goes wrong with them. They have a HEAP of complicated components on them that the simpler 2 strokes don't have. For my "rough duty" river engines, my best option is to stick with the 2 strokes.
    Bill in SC

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bill
    How big is this 2 stroke motor ???? I bought a 60 hp merc 4 stroke big foot motor for my 18 foot pontoon and it has been a excellant motor as far as starting and the gas consumption is absolutely stingy..........BUT...... it runs like a herd of turtles. Fully loaded for a trip with man colas on board and two buddies we top out at a blistering 12 mph. Ive tried alum vs stainless props as well as the several different pitches offered for this motor with little or no improvement. In hindsite, I wish I would have gotten the 90 hp..........but with the cash flow the way it is ........Ill just have to pack on a few more man colas and wave as you guys rocket on by........

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Bill
    How big is this 2 stroke motor ????>

Well, it's a 200 Black Max Mercury, so... it ain't small. It would push your pontoon quite nicely. :wink:

BB in SC