Rainy Day Produces a Decent Striper!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., May 8, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Went fishing yesterday (5/7/06) in the cold rain. First we went to the lake and got some fresh shad, they were mostly small baits. Then we went to the Roanoke River and fished with the little shad and caught some of the big Gizzard Shad there to take to the lake. The fishing in the Roanoke River was not too bad but it was just a bunch of eater Channel Cats, still fun. And I got a small Striper there also.

So then after using a Sabiki rig there and easily getting a cooler of fresh 12+ inch gizzard shad, we head to Eaton Ferry Bridge on Gaston Lake. It was about 8:00pm, the wind was pretty strong, and the rain was cold. We had rain gear but we got soaked anyway somehow. Anyway the fishing was only good in one spot for some reason, it was on one side of the bridge and seemed like it was Stripers hitting, my dad had a ripping run but no hook-up. So then I threw out a couple poles out over on his side, was using fresh fillet of Gizzard shad. Well I was just moving my pole over some and right when I was putting it back down one hit, he did two short runs, and then took off hard and I hooked it good. I honestly thought it was a big Blue cat at first, but then it took off pulling drag for about 10 seconds straight and after that I would get it near the rocks and it would take off again, then he ran under the bridge and tried to go around pilands or something but after about 10 minutes I got him in the net, a 15lb, 32 inch, Striper! I was really excited, it was the best fighting Striper for its size that I've ever seen. It swalloed the hook, and we kept it.

Zakk:smile2:

Here are the pictures-

Here's the pictures-

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fine lookin fish there Zakk! That sucker is fat!

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    great story, great fish, congrats!:smile2:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, it is a fat fish. Probably got some eggs in it, or been eating a lot of shad....lol

Here's a couple more pictures-

Attached Files:

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice catch Zakk! Some good eating there too :)

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Zakk :big_smile: You've been having some pretty good luck lately!!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks man, there ain't no luck involved though my friend....lmao:big_smile:

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    nice buntch of fish there zakk!!!

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:oooh: "That's a nice Striper Zakk, "Way to go"! :big_smile:

Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

10. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Thats a nice pole bendin,line rippin,reel bustin Striper ya go there!

Way to go

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Very nice Striper Zakk! :smile2:

12. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Execellent fish.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, sure was fun. It was in the 50's with very cold rain, so that Striper helped make the trip worth while. Those Stripers sure do love that kind of weather.

Zakk