Rainy Day Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 14, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My wife, and most of my friends, have always thought I was crazy for going out hunting in the worst weather. My favorite time to hunt is in a good rain. I discovered long ago that the deer have us patterned, too. They know that humans don't like bad weather. They don't expect to find us in the woods when the weather is bad. I've been able to sneak up to within a few yards of deer without them knowing I was there when it is pouring down rain. Today I was finally able to show my wife why I do it. She went with me today as I rode around in the rain talking to customers and giving estimates. For the last 4 hours, (11Am to 3pm), we were seeing deer out in fields, wood lines, yards and gardens. Everywhere we went we were seeing deer out in the open in broad daylight. It just reinforced my theory that if you are staying home because of the weather, you could be missing out on some of the best hunting of the season. The wind is the hunters friend, also. The deer are still out there no matter how bad the wind is blowing. You can't hear them moving, but they can't hear you ether. The wind eliminates half of the places you need to look for them. They will almost always be in sheltered areas like hollows, thickets, and overgrown fields where they can see all the way around them. If you are careful and sneaky, you can easily get within bow range. A few years ago I was hunting the National Forest when the wind was blowing about 30 MPH. I was able to sneak within 12 yards of a bedded doe and put an arrow through her lungs before she knew I was there. I love bad weather!

2. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I guess they have me patterned I hate hunting in the rain. But I might have to relook this.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know a few years ago, we had one of the wettest hunting seasons I can remember. It seems every weekend, once we got to camp, it would start raining. All our clothes were wet; hanging everywhere trying to dry, etc. But, we saw more, & killed more deer, than any other year so far. My husband got 6 (our limit) & I got 3! And the way things are looking right now, this could be another wet year....!:wink:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    heck yeah, in bad weather i will find more deer. also, before a storm moves in, i mean right before, almost all the animals will be on the move. it's a great time to hunt.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The first part of the weather front are the best times to hunt. The deer know the weather is turning bad and they do not know how long so they go out to eat there belly full before laying down for the weather. The wet ground also makes the quieter walking around BUT it also makes us quieter:wink:. This holds true for fishing also, just before bad weather they bite well.
    The biggest thing is when they cannot hear due to strong winds. They will lay down for that and not move if the do not feel safe. This is when I am in the thick areas and low areas that are blocked from the wind and moving around. I have seen it like rabbit hunting when you can almost walk up and kick them in the head before they will move. Nothing like walking in waist high grass/thicket and have a 200lb animal jump up 3-8 feet from you to get your heart going!!!! (Read that last part as scare the %*#$ out of you!):eek:oooh:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    "This is when I am in the thick areas and low areas that are blocked from the wind and moving around. I have seen it like rabbit hunting when you can almost walk up and kick them in the head before they will move."

That's exactly what I do. There is no sense even checking the tops of ridges or open hill sides. They will be down low and in the thickest stuff you can find. I use 3D camo and enhance it with local foliage. I tape artificial 3D leaves on my bow limbs and I can usually sneak right up to bedded deer. It's a lot more fun than shooting them at 200 yards!:wink: