Raining

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by badcat, Jul 27, 2006.

1. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    just wondering, do any of you guys think that fishing in the rain is productive?

2. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I do real well when it rains

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I've had some luck in the rain and its better than sitting home watching it rain.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Depends on what kinda rain you talking about, lite rain I have had some luck. Heavy rain, no luck.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fishing is usually real productive before a rain front and during a rain but after the rain front moves through the fish will not feed as actively as they were. I usually wont fish for one full day and sometimes two after the front passes. The only exception to this is if you get a big rain and the feeder creeks are running high then the fish will be feeding on whatever is being washed in. This is a guide I pretty much go by to save wasted time on the water when these fronts are moving through.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats some good info Brother.Definitely words to fish by.

7. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    iv fished in the rain before and did good when it rains u get to cool down:cool2:

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I usually try to catch bait while I am at a spot (to pass the time and to replinish what I have used) and if I hardly ever catch any. This means that they are off hiding, which (if my experiences have proved me well) means that the larger fish have moved in. That happens to me whenever it rains, and I always have good luck afterwards, so I think it is productive.

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Rain never hurt my fishing unless it was a flood. A little fresh water washing food in, and putting oxygen into the water helps sometimes. If I were fishing from a boat when a big storm blew up I would keep a watchful eye out for lightning, and be prepared to crankup, and get to safety, but as a general rule, fish don't mind some water, after all, they live in it. It seems to bother fishermen a lot more. JMHO. Jack.

10. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I second the above post on fishing feeder creeks after a big rain. We had over 4" Tuesday night and even small creeks are running bank full. Was on my way to a spot on the lake where one of these small creeks dumps in and had to cross a bridge over one of the tributaries. Guy was fishing there (couldn't have been more than 10' wide, but full) and busy unhooking a 20"+ channel. This bridge is nearly a mile upstream of the lake and not normally more than 4' wide and 6" deep, but with the heavy rain, the cats were up there stuffing themselves full. He was still there fishing two hours later when I left, so I'm guessing he had some more luck. I tried another similar spot and had several good runs but could not hook up. Ran out of bait and went home empty handed but I'll be back tonight- rain day +2.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    777 pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned on the topic of fishing in the rain. If you watch the air pressure numbers, it will tell you when to fish. It drops before the rain, it rises after the rain.

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    We have had rain almost every day in July and it seems that the fishing has died down some. It is keeping the tempature down so I do not mind.

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i always do pretty good in the rain. my dad told me that the fish really cant feed during that time so theyre looking for food. i always seem to do pretty good afterwards too.

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The last time I got to go fishing with my DAD befor he died was at lake Texoma and it started raining so hard we are in his boat I said Hey Dad do ya think we should go in for a little bit and He said (Iv Fished in the rain befor)And By God we fished in the rain so when it rains Im one of the only guys you will see standing in the rain with a big ass smile and a fishing poll in hand so if you see me like that you will know what time it is............Patrick.........

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey yall Dont know where that came from but there you go:crazy:

16. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am not sure but I think I will be able to tell you tommorow. We are headed out tonight and It does not look promising. I don't mind a lite rain and don't think the fish do either cause it runs most boaters and fishermen off the water.:big_smile:

17. ridgedog

ridgedog New Member

State:
    arkansas
    it seems to me that they bite good in a rain.

18. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i love fishin in the rain. I have caught my personal best in a heavy rain....
    The kind of rain i'm talkin about is where it rains steady all day...little wind, but the heavens just keep dumpin.
    it is when a strong low pressure system parks it's butt overhead and the rain keeps comin..no lightning...variable to light winds...that's my perfect fishin/catchin weather....well other than ice off on a mountain lake.

cyas
    rc

19. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have always found that fishing is very productive in the rain. It turns evreything up and gets more bait i the waterways. Some of my best days are in the rain. The same goes for hunting! Plus alot of people will stay home when it is raining so it leaves more for me!