Rainbow trout for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by typer181, Apr 29, 2007.

1. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Someone stocked a lake behind my brothers house with rainbow trout, all at least a pound or bigger. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use live trout for flatheads? I know a friend of mine has been having luck using large mouth bass. Thanks bros.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure about flatheads, but below the Tenkiller dam, striper fisherman catch the smaller stock trout and use them for stiper fishing. They just hook them through the lip and let them roam free without any weight. They get some real monsters!

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Trout are awesome Flathead bait! I caught 5 Channels yesterday on cut Trout!

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Before you start going and using them for bait you may want to check your local rules and regs. there may be something saying that you cant use them. I know i have had that fight many times out here with my fellow fisherman about using goldfish for bait. ervyone i know swore up and down that they were illegal to use, so i just started carrying around a copy of the rule book and pointed it out that i can use them. Just a bit of advice, wouldnt want to have a run it with a game warden having a bad day and get caught doing something wrong.

5. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the input fellas. I checked the regs here, and as long as I catch them on rod and reel it's okay to use them for bait.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would rather use live Bluegills or Shad, rather than Rainbow Trout. But check with ur local game warden first.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in Oklahoma, game fish are legal to use as bait as long as they meet the regulations on size(if any for that species on that body of water) and numbers. They just have to be caught legaly on a rod and reel.

8. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    went out yesterday and got 2 channels on cut coho salmon. some guys on the river had a couple of carcusses which was working so i tried it. to my surprise it worked great. good enough that i brought what was left home and froze it.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IF it works good but personally I would rather eat a salmon or trout than use them for bait. I'd be useing gills and crappies.

10. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I caught two rainbows, but by the time I got to my spot they had died. I did not catch any fish on them cut. They looked tasty to me, I can't believe the kitties didn't go for it! LOL! Next time, I think I'll be eating the trout. Live baits are the best for the flatties, no question. The lucky bait this year has been white bass and large mouths, it just takes time to do your pre-fishing, but it's worth it. Jumbo goldfish have been good as well.

11. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    I caught a 22LB channel late in the fall last year here in colorado on a live stocker trout. I always use trout guts and the channels love them, But that live stocker did the trick. As for those flats I would think they would go nuts over a 10-12'' trout!

12. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i have a friend that used a trout head and caught a 30lb blue on it.and shovelheads will eat almost anything live so i would say yes.