Rainbow Lake/Maple River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jul 10, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Didn't the dam at Rainbow Lake fail back in '87, causing the river to get polluted with dogfish?
    Remember that year? When it rained in West MI 30 out of 31 days in September?
    Has the catfishing recovered from that yet?
    Just wondering...

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    yes the dam did fail in 87.

Yes there are a lot of dogfish in Rainbow.

The lake is private and you need membership to get your boat on it. I have membership myself and so I can go there with whoever will fit in my boat, bt cannot bring other boats onto the lake unless lake access members are on each boat.
    Id be happy to take a full load out there- and 4 (including me) is about as many as can fish comfortably there.

If it works out that I can fish the 18th/19th of august as asked, I would set up the group of bank fishermen along the river near Bliss, then grab a few of you guys and take a boatload out on Rainbow for a part of the night, returning to bank-camp later on. I will start working on a plan of attack, soon as I find out whether the weekend will work for me or not.

Sal

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Why didn't you say so? We all know how adept I am at landing those... umm...fish. I would have been there already if I had known that! ROTFLOL!

New motto: "If you can't get what you're after, go after what you can get."

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey... that sounds familliar:
    Sounds like my old sig- If I cannot fondle the fins I am fond of, I fondle the fins I find.

heh heh....

Going out this saturday with my buddy Ken on Rainbow Lake for Channels and Flatheads. Ill report on all the great dogfish I caught on monday just for you bro!

Sal

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    hay bub you get those lights fixed

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    not yet but I'll have it done before thursday. Either tonight or tomorrow before I hit the lake. Its 5 minutes and a dab of super glue... I already know the problem.

Don... youre an awesome brother for lookin out for me and for other bros like you do. Serious. We have a blessed michigan group! Thanks for being the type of brother you are.

Sal
    (and if I dont do it you'll likely whoop my a## like a brother too! LOL):big_smile:

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Done deal i told sparky i would nag you tell you did

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ugh...

I went out with two fellas from the greater lansing area saturday night and just about promised them a flathead... on rainbow lake... on gills... for sure.

Mistake #1.

We got out on the lake shortly after 8- putted around and finally I settled on a spot in front of the island. Nice cover, good weather... I was very optimistic.
    About 9:30 at night on a live gill, my clicker began to go... and I mean GO. I snatched up the rod, let out a few feet to allow the fish time to swallow and the set that hook. Well, I went cheap on this rod and only put on a small spool of spider wire. the rest was 25lb mono. When I set the hook, I got 3 pumps out of the fish and then CRACK- like a 22 going off the line popped.

Dead silence.

Later on in the night I had another little run- gill went for a small ride courtesy of something picking it up but it was spit out shortly after.

Finally at about 1:30 after moving to a new location, one of the boaty mates landed a channel- 4 and a half pounds.

I sure hope luck returns to me. heh heh ...

Im gonna give lake Ovid another try here in the next 2 weeks. Ill report.

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Nice going...at least you caught something and had some action...Now Sal you should know better not to promise any fish:big_smile: ...As much as I like fishing I haven't been on a shoreline in at least a week. LOL. The scent of that skunk was getting overwhelming. I had to take a break to mentally recharge. Maybe I will go out tonight and get after them...

10. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    just bein out on the water would be great for me I wont beable to go fishin till I get to Michigan 1st thing on the list is fishin license 2nd findin someone to take me lol