Rainbow Lake 10-4-06

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sal_jr, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well it looks like Tony and Vic are IN!

And it looks like the weather will cooperate too.

The "in-flight mea"l will be Scotch Eggs, smoked Alaskan Salmon (pink and sockeye), hot smoked pepper salad, artisan garlic bread, some other stuff, and whatever you all bring to drink.

Its going to be a fine time on the water... see you there!

-Sal

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey just wanted to let you guys know I had an uneventful return trip home. I had a great time tonight. Looking forward to getting together soon...more later...

Vic

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony and Vic did meet each other finally. Yes, Tony... ths Vic guy does exist AND he does fish. Yes, Vic... this Tony guy is not a cardboard cutout whose character is run by a 13 year old blogging from his mom's basement. Or could he still be?

As it turns out... the skunks swam Rainbow last night. We had no action. Well... thats not true: I had some unidentified action all night slowly stripping line from my clicker. It was a ghost-turtle. I swear it.

We started out late- and without the right stuff at the right time I suppose the crappie just were not interested. I marked em early on, but never got so much as a strike. after 25 minutes of so, we moved to a primarily channel cat spot.

We put our lines out again and amid warm friendly conversation just a few minutes after anchoring out on the spot we liked, the moon came out from behind the dark storm clouds and proceeded to give us some beautiful night fishing, dotted with a falling star, clearing skies, no wind, and a 7 mile long winding lake that looked like a sheet of glass. A great set of final circumstances for a soon-retiring river yacht such as we were on.

What else can be said beyond not catching anything? Aparently a lot. We did our usualy thing- talking and covering every end of the spectrum from self deprecation, strange and unsuitable people, Mark Foley (R-FL) [... thats the guy's name!], rest areas, tricycles, and fishing, all the way to dastardly yellow jackets who love to take refunge in anything that is mine. WE also covered speaking skills and writing skills, inflection, an interesting english class where nobody speaks at all, the Clampetts next door, and relived the tale of Vic's far-future nonexistent neighborhood barbecue.

So we munched on the aforementioned food and Tony was kind enough to produce a hot cup of coffee at just the moment I got chilly enough to need/want one. All in all the night went extremely fast, as it does when people laugh their way through it.

So fish? No. Good company, food, and scenery? You bet. Thanks for a great midweek break fellas. Looking forward to this next mysterious trip.... wherever it is hiding.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    That could very well be the most fun I've ever had fishing without catching fish. Sal and Vic are each interesting and very entertaining individuals, but together they will give you laugh cramps.

I concluded on my long ride home that Sal needs to become an Outdoor Magazine Writer and Victor needs to go fishing more often.

And even though I always say "any time you go fishing its already a success", I also concluded we need to make one of these water-borne men's club meetings catch some darn fish!

How do we do that? We keep on trying!

Thanks again, Sal, and I'll see you guys next time!

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sal, I have to echo those sentiments by saying that I had a great time conversing with you guys last night. As you stated, the outside conditions turned out more favorably than what I imagined. Mentally, I had prepared myself for much harsher conditions. LOL. When the moon came out, and the clouds parted I really didn't care anything about fishing anymore at that point(of course I was ready just in case LOL). The trip turned out exactly as I hoped it would as far as the company, and the nice weather was just icing on the cake. Tony it was great to finally meet you, and I look forward to fishing with you on the Grand in the near future (hint LOL). Did any of you get a chance to bottle up that lightning last night? ROTFLOL. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay a little longer:sad2: but that's how it goes when the camaraderie outlasts your time window. The batting average is still 1.000 with my Michigan brothers. You guys are top drawer in my book. Now all we need to do is find us some real estate on the Grand, build us a fire, and see some rod tips slowly going horizontal, and it will be total nirvana.

Oh, can't leave the post without mentioning the food. The Alaskan salmon was excellent as well as the vegetable salad. Thanks Elena...

The total distance was 226 miles round trip Tony, so I guess I beat you out after all.:smile2: Hope to see you guys on the 21st...

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    "The total distance was 226 miles round trip Tony, so I guess I beat you out after all. Hope to see you guys on the 21st..."

112.7 miles round trip for me, so you surely did drive farther. But like I said, it aint like driving to California!