RAIN!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks like are getting some well needed rain around here at least. In the last few days we have gotten over 5 inches at my house and there is a 40-60% chance everyday for the rest of the week. Sure is nice I hope the rivers and lakes will fill back up again.

2. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We're only getting a few small scattered thunderstorms, according to the radar. I hadn't seen one, nothing but dust in my yard. Sandy Springs, SC

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We got at least 3 inches yesterday. I hope the trend will continue for a while!
    BB in SC

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We had about two inches at our house here in Gaffney. Pacolet River which flows into Broad River was flowing good yesterday so that should help Santee some.

5. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Guys we can hope and pray for not only our rivers and lakes to rise to normal but for the midwest to recede to normal. I think they need a break.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Problem I have is that this rain, although it's great for my grass, isn't doing the Edisto River any good at all. It's falling just on the coast, so it doesn't help fill the river back up. I need for it to pour down on Orangeburg and off that way!

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear that John the rain has fallen perfectlly for the Pee Dee River. It has rained the most in the Cheraw and Rockinham area which is where the Pee Dee begins. The Pee Dee has already risen 4ft in the last couple of days. The fish might get washed out into the ocean cause they arent use to that much current.LOL

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Actually, the Pee Dee originates way up in the Appalachians, where it is known as the Yadkin. It just changes names the further south/east it gets. Same river.
    Bill in SC

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I was in Columbia this morning and checked the landing at the end of Rosewood Drive. The water was low and VERY clear. It was obvious that the Congaree is not getting anything from the Broad River. Hopefully your upcountry rain will come on down.

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Big storm this afternoon in and around charlotte. We were without power for about three hours with high wind, heavy rain and some hail. Weather says we had 1 to 2" rain depending on area and 4" in Monroe.
    It was moving east so I am sure it hit the PD upstream of you guys. They say about 5"around albemarle.
    Thank God for the rain!
    LB

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Actually the Pee Dee is formed at the confluence of the Wharrie River and the Yadkin River. It becomes the Great Pee Dee River when it crosses into South Carolina.

I spent some time last fall at W. Kerr Scott Lake (Yadkin River) between Boone and North Wilkesboro last October. It's beautiful with not a lot of people.

http://www.wilkesnc.org/guide/kerr/

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Got some the past couple days around Seneca. It might help out a little.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rain has been a regular thing for about the past week and I mean some good soakers. Gotta love to see it cause we need every drop we can get.

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    We got rained out at work(dirty4letterword) Tuesday in Pendleton, couldn't beleive it, man that hasn't happened in a long time. Hope it keeps coming for awhile. All SC lake & rivers need it.

15. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I agree with ya Jerry. Hope this keeps up for awhile. Greenwood is about 3ft low as today and Clarks Hill is at about where it was last year somewhere around 13 Ft low or so when I was there Fri.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We had a lot here this evening. The Pacolet River in lower Spartanburg County recieved plenty of rain.

17. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Hello all! New to the forum, but have gotten more information that is useful!

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We have had some rain here but its never enough.

Unfortunately it wont ever be normal here unless we get some hurricanes. Another problem is the higher winds with hotter temps. This year the evaporation rate is higher and a major factor in the problem.

I've been aggravated with water level and stopped looking but I noticed this weekend that the water level on my bank spots are lower already than this time last year.

Hartwell is low but according to the corps they can drain it a lot lower without any problems. I wish they could keep the levels up like they do on Russell.

-Jim-

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went up Sunday to mow the dog fennel and weeds on our little piece of property on the river. I did the last few passes in the pouring rain.

I just looked at the water level data on line. That shower brought the river up a few inches, but it's already dropping again...

Must have had some pretty rough weather up around St George recently, though, we have several trees down. Oh well - wood for the campfires this winter. Gotta bring the chainsaw up next time.