Rain Suits

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Oct 5, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Anyone ever heard of or used rain gear or rain suits from a company called Stearns??? I bought one a few days ago..It was about 50 bucks for the pants and the jacket, just wondering if it is quality stuff, or if it is crap?? I am just hoping that it is waterproof...Any info is appreciated

2. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Well, I'm looking for a good rain suit..
    I'm kinda interested in Frogg Toggs...I believe they are waterproof and breathable ..I'm goin to check it out

3. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have one that is several year old.It get water logged after a while in heavy downpours.It also is heavy.I have a set of the Red Head rain gear,probably will get a set of Frogg Toggs next spring.Those things are super light.Hope the material in your new Stearns is lighter than my old suit.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Guys, suit yourself with the purchase of the frog toggs. My dad purchased a set of them a year or two ago. He hates them, they are as light as air, actually with the holes in them they are like wearing air. They seem to be made out of a paper like material. If I were going to put $50 in a rain suit I would want one to hold up more than a few outings. JMHO. Vern

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I gave up on rain suits and bought a heavy duty poncho, works like a champ for me.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I was given a stearns rainsuit about 2 years ago and I do like it I have had good use out of it and stayed dry Hope this helps

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thats all i wanted to here, thanks buddy....I hate my cloths to get wet..Nothing worse than wet jeans

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i hear that , remedy cary a dry pair in the boat or truck save that 50 bucks to buy another rod , a little water never hurt any one , my rain suit gets used mostly as a wind blocker

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, get your butt out to Dicks at fairfeild commons! i just bought a pair of bibs and a jacket for work that are the bomb! dont remember what brand they are but they were on clearance and are the same quality as some stuff i seen at bass pro for 4x the price. got the bibs and jacket for like $135. if they still have 'em they will be bright red and blue.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just my two cents worth here but I bought a Stearns set a long time ago and I would rate them middle of the road. The set I use for fishing now is a Cabelas set that was like $100 and I love them. Although they are still plastic. But when it's cold and I really can't afford to get wet, I use my Goretex hunting clothes.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The ones i had before these was the bright yellow bib overalls and Jacket, I know everyone knows what ones im talking about..They are heavy PVC or whatever, they are hot as heck, and they dont work and they ride up your crack like crazy......I hated them

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lets face it. If your in the great out doors. Stuff happens to mess up a good rain suit.The PVCstuff is good for a while.
    We got stickers, vines with stickers, all kinds of stuff that will tear into a fancy rain suit. Not to mention a hook and whatever
    I spent lots of money for fancy only to mess it up deer hunting, hung on tail gate etc.
    Lot of money down the drain. I get throw away and found it to be useable more than once. Money tight, little thinking, little cleaning up, little this that and the other, you can get by with out a name brand. Thats just me.
    I carry $.50 , thats right 50 cent rain gear. It aint pretty but it keeps those jeans dry.
    That be good for the part of where the good Lord split ya. LOL. I've used cheap throw away several times before it hit the fire. Makes a great fire starter. LMAO.
    Want fancy, go for it. Aint nothing going to last for ever.
    I for get what there call it but the OL tarp jackets and hat, cowboy style gear.That stuff holds up. Cant rip, burn or wear a hole in it. LOL.

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Dont have any experience with the stearns or frogg toggs. I do have a set of Cabelas gortex rain jacket and bibs. They are great. I where them for work also. I dairy farm for a living. Milking twice a day . Wore them all winter handleing hay and straw bales and anything a dairy farm can throw at you. They have handled it great and still going strong. They are not cheap but they are worth it. Also stops the wind . They are very warm is the bad part, not insulated but in summer if doing much walking or work can get hot. For fish they are great.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tina,

"Go for it"! :big_smile:

I had the same "Frogg Toggs" Raingear for a couple of season now, and it's works!!!!!!
    Oh Yea - I Forgot to say that it's still works as good as the day I got it!
    :confident: :0a26:

Take It easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil