Rain Suit

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mark29860, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello folks, can anyone recommend a good quality rainsuit that will keep you dry and is breathable. thanks

2. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Frog Toggs.I love em

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I like Gortex material. It is light, breathable, wind proof, warm, dry, and works good for me. If it's good enough for the military, it sure enough is good enough for me!

Bill in SC

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....can anyone recommend a good quality rainsuit that will keep you dry and is breathable...."

Any of the membrane/textile materials like Gortex are great for breathability and keeping you dry in moderate rain. These materials also make a great wind break on cold morning boat rides.

When it comes to foul weather, torrential rains, wet boat rides in rough windy water, a rubber rain suit is the only way to go. Why do you think the guys on Deadliest Catch wear them? Textile materials will eventually leak, especially around stress points like the knees and the seams.

I own a couple of Gortex rainsuits and will continue to wear them for light to moderate conditions, but I will be pruchasing a heavy duty Carhartt or Grundens rubber rainsuit soon.

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I agree with Wyliecat. I have a Grundens suit and sweatshirt thing that I wear offshore and if its going to be nasty. I also have a cheap nylon like pair of pants and a breathable jacket that I keep on the boat for those small storms and to break the wind. I have been in some big rains and never got wet in the cheap stuff but have gone through 3 in the last 3 years. I will be getting a goretex suit soon.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have Cabelas Guide wear , Good Stuff !!!

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    For winter temps and cold, the rubber suits keep in body heat and keep ya dry in extreme conditions.

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    FROGG TOGS!!!:wink:

If you plan on fishing in a hurricane you need a rubber suit............... and your head checked!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

9. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Hard to beat Gore tex for MOST all foul weather. I have the Guide Wear by Cabelas and after 8 years it still dont leak. :wink:

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the frog toggs are very good.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If you plan on fishing in a hurricane you need a rubber suit............... and your head checked!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:>

Agreed, but we sometimes get caught up in the moment if the fish are bitin'. Foul weather can come up FAST!!

BB in SC

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If its raining I get inside the enclosure.:wink::smile2:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Mark, I don't know exactly what you're looking for/what kind of $$$ you want to spend.

I don't fish in any type of weather where I need something extremely heavy duty.

However, I'm sittin' here looking at the BPS Spring Angler catalog. The last two pages feature the BPS 100 MPH GORE-TEX System.

It is laminated polyester shell with GORE-TEX membrane. Looks like some good stuff.

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I went with BPS 100 MPH GORE-TEX System. I work out side every day rain shine and snow. And have been wearing it allot lately, Cuts all the wind and I have never gotten wet. I checked out several kinds from many places and these seemed the best. Kinda pricey, But have served me well, so far. And looks like I'll be wearing it for many years.
    If you see some one roaming around the La Cygne area in a big red suit. It might just be me.

15. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have the Bass Pro 100mph suit and I love it. It keeps me warm and dry. I have been in some very nasty weather since I got them and have never got the least bit wet. The good thing about the gore-tex is that it doesnt have to be cold, the gore- tex is actully pretty comfy in mild weather also.The rubber suits are just to much for mild conditions so it makes them not as versitile, but they are very good for the very cold trips.

16. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I also have been using Cabelas Guide Wear for years. It is excellent rain gear.

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have Frogg Toggs and have been very happy with them. They are light weight and breathable,that's what I really like about them.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I just bought me a Carhartt PVC heavy duty rubber rainsuit.

It don't breath, and it dont leak! :wink:

I can lay it in the net and bail water if it gets really bad!! :eek:oooh:

19. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
  20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Dude you gonna turn blue as that there cat you holdin! Skin's gotta breathe!
    Besides what happens if you pass gas in that thing?:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2: Might float off like a helium balloon!:smile2::smile2::smile2: