rain repellant

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by derail, May 26, 2008.

1. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    What is the best water repellant to use on my tents? The stuff I've been gettin at Wally World just doesn't seem to be cuttin it anymore.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you're talking about coated nylon that's in good condition, Seam Sealer should work. If the coating itself has failed, I'm not sure there's anything you can do with it, other than start looking at new tents.

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For canvas tents I've used Thompson's water seal for years. Probably wouldn't use on nylon or synthetic without a test area may melt it. Google some camping forums

4. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sorry for being a little vague. My tents are all coated nylon, and are i good condition with no tears. Thanks for the info so far folks![​IMG]

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "Campmor"has a selection of sealants.Thompson's Water seal has a site with selections and helpful information.

What is your tent fabric made of or do you even know?Many domestic and foreign made tents were made of quite a few different materials or even combinations even in the threads of the seams and fabrics their selves.

The U.V.rays in sunlight often deteriorate the fabric along with the repellent.It may be damaged and not worth re coating.

Thompson's Water Seal was a great waterproofer for Cotton Canvas for many years.Then some manufactures in their infinite wisdom started using synthetic threads to sew the seams in cotton canvas.The result was this thread deteriorating due to the UV rays and mineral spirits in some water repellents.This left you with PIECES of your canvas in great shape and a 3D puzzle!

I learned this from a relative who worked in the business for many years.They did Custom work in any fabric available for any use or design from yachts.tents,awnings or covers for anything and everything.He knew his stuff but is no longer available.

You can always check in your local directory.You just may have such a place near you that buys sealers by the drum.They may sell you what you need cheaper.You can pick up a new paint can to put it in cheap at most places that mix paint.

I learned from him to buy a cheap tarp large enough to "completely cover" your tent when erected.Use it to cover your good tent.You can fold up the edges for ventilation when in use and pull them down to protect your tent the rest of the time.Throw it away and buy another when it deteriorates.This will allow your expensive tent to last many more years as the disposable tarp will shelter your tent from the U.V.rays,campfire sparks,limbs and such.Buy and keep 2 others to go under and inside the floor of your tent.Your tent will last forever with this care.It also works great for a good but leaky tent.Now I know this will not be feasible for all tents,situations and camping situations.

I use to tie a rope between two trees at a favorite spot on a creek.I would then stretched and stake a 20 x 40 tarp between them with my tent pitched under the tarp.This was a favorite vacation spot and method for 25+ years with the same tent and several cheap tarps.:big_smile:

Spray Silicone in a can will waterproof many fabrics.The fluid carriers in it will deteriorate or weaken some fabrics.The food grades are usually the safest on fabrics.Also expensive.Good Luck.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sorry I missed the Fabric type.I was writing while you were posting.I am so very slow.:embarassed:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    All good info. Thanks for the attention![​IMG]