Rain,,Rain... Go Away from the chattahooce valley

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by redbone, Sep 20, 2009.

1. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Water is up quite a bit and the fish have moved to there high water holding patterns usually seen in the spring.

I went fishing friday evening with my son. And again Sunday afternoon. The water was twice as muddy Sunday as it was friday. The strong current and trash had the fish holding tight to eddies and current breaks. Flathead fishing was a bust. However the Blues were coooperating but there was nothing that I landed that was over 15 pounds. They seemed to perfer cut shad. Which were easily caught is sloughs that were well away from the current. 4-6 inch shad were aboundant in these areas.

I know we all need to be verisatile and be able to adapt to changing conditions. This high muddy water we are currently seeing has dropped my per fish weight down ... at least 5 pounds or more. Quanity has gone up.....quality has suffered. Rain.....rain....go away ! :go:

2. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Come on in rain..Lets have a lil flood water going on... Love to catch big fish during a flood..

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep, that rising water sure helps my fishing a lot!

4. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Ok.... lets see it ! I have been twice...nothing size wise to brag about...Lets see some picture Guys... They are worth a thousand words.

I think this is a common misconception....I believe high water increases the numbers of fish caught.....not so much the size. But I have been wrong once before......no wait.................. I was right that time ....also......It was a leap year on good friday during an eclipse :wink::wink::smile2:

5. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Hey Redbone if you will come work for me I'll go catch some and take you some pictures...

6. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    You will need me to show you how to catch em' Cant do that from work :smile2::smile2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    River levels are down around 19 feet. Did any Alabama brothers fish the high water?

8. Dixiedeer22

Dixiedeer22 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can ya'll direct me to a good spot to try tonight...We have been using the Yaks but we finally got a boat to use WOHOOOO
    and its been long enough....any ideas on where to go in oliver to pitch out a few jugs??

9. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    It the past I have always caught fish on the upper end of lake oliver.Just below the dam. I would pitch my jugs out on the Alabama side just about even with the boat ramp. In the middle of the current. Spread them out. If they are generating this should cause your jugs to cover the full width of the lake. Some jugs will even go down the back side of the island. Once the jugs get down to the "S" curve .....approx 3/4 a mile below, I would pick them up and bring them back up to reset. Not many will make it through the curve without getting hung up on the Alabama side.
    Shad or shrimp are good baits to use here. If using shrimp leave the shell on. It makes it harder to knock off the hook. Leaders should be around 4 - 5 foot long. This should put you on some good eater size fish.
    *** Point to remember....there are a lot of gar here as well...they like this area.. you will most likely encounter at least one or two.

A good friend of mine who has passed away now... lived on this Lake and this pattern worked well for us both many times.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. Dixiedeer22

Dixiedeer22 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks redbone I really appreciate it

11. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    no problem .. If you run up on another stump ( have any questions) give me a hollar :haha: