Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by roh1961, Oct 1, 2006.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What type and/or brand rainwear is the most popular, dependable, and affordable? Do most people buy insulated rain wear or do they have seperate seasonal wear for warm and cold weather? I've tried many brands and types but have never found one that fits the bill. I've even tried Frog Toggs and they are light weight but are more or less made out of paper and last about a minute on an overweight person (it sounds better that fat guy, lol). We haven't had much rain in East Texas to get very wet but maybe it will change. Getting soaked is a lot more uncomfortable when you're older.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I personally have seasonal gear but mostly I just carry one of those folded up poncho's in my vest for emergencies! LOL :lol:

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Randy,

Last year my Wife got me some rain gear call "Frogg Troggs" from "Bass Pro Shops". Very Light - but good rain gear. - :big_smile:
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    A couple years ago I bought an inexpensive set of rain gear from Cabela's, the set consisted of pants and a rain coat. They are camouflage and I think I paid right around $30.00 for the complete set which I thought would only last a season of turkey hunting and fishing. That was 4 years ago and I got them out last night to keep the dew off me while catfishing and they are still like new. I wad them up and store them in a hand bag tote I carry in my vehicle so I have them all the time with me but also subjects them to high heat when the windows are up in the summer and freezing temps when I forget to bring them in for the winter. I just went out and looked at them they are Stearns Dry Gear and made from mostly nylon and I really looked them over for wear, they are wrinkled but in really good shape. I will add they are a little noisy for hunting but then I'm a fun hunter not a wanna be serious, in my own mind professional, hunter. :big_smile:

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    My wife and I both have a Stearns rain suit from Cabelas and I think they were under a $100.00 each for summer time and we have gortex storm suits from Cabelas for the winter but they are kinda pricey at a little over $400.00 each so if you look around you can find whatever you need in almost any price range.

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    IMO rain suits are great,Spring,fall and winter.But in the heat of summer,I have not found a rainsuit that doesn't make you sweat like crazy.Except fo hard downpours,I just get wet.I got to have some kind of hat on though.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Gor-Tex 10X will handle that. And also in hot weather you do not sweat like the cheap rain suits .
    But there not cheep. The one I have cost me $280 15 years ago.
    PEte

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you find one let me know. They all make me sweat like heck and no matter what in a down poor I still get wet. Next time I get rain gear I'm going to get one of them rubber sets. Maybe then the water wont seap in then.

9. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    frogg toggs are good

10. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the rain suit i got is pretty great its a columbia it was cheap i think like $40 shipped for the money I think its the best thing out there I ordered mine from amazon do a internet seach for columbia rainsuit you'll find it there are other rain suits that are alot nicer but they get really pricey even the ones at walmart were more than $40 for the set

11. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother-in-law gave me a rain jacket from a boat supply place. Brand name is Henri Lloyd. I really liked it, but it didn't hold up well. The waterproofing started washing out of it. It's bad enough to be on the river getting wet, but I'm glad I wasn't wearing it out in the middle of the atlantic on a sailboat or something.

Now I'm in the market for another---maybe Carhartt..

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the all weather camo wear from LaCrosse. It is the new stuff, a step above gor tex. It is great but I haven't used it in summer so don't know how hot it could be. It is designed to be cool. I love the stuff but it is really high. I just got tired of buying different gear a couple times a year or once ever year. I have the Bibs and the matching parka $ 348.00.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I have a Gore-Tex rain suit from Cabelas, called "PacLite Rainy River" - consists of a hooded parka and pants, both of which can be stuffed into a carrying bag that's about 6" diameter by 12" long. I keep them in my boat and they're worth double their weight in gold. Got a chance to use them repeatedly on my fishing trip to Canada last summer.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use some heavy duty rain gear i bought on a clearance rack at Wal Mart. It is FLW brand I believe. It is the most waterproof stuff I have ever put on. but it is hot and would not work in summer. But my motto is, if its hot enough to not want a coat, get wet and enjoy it!

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was at a yard sale saturday and picked up 5 rain suits vynal for a quarter each

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am not a skinny man so I bought a poncho and love it. I started with a cheap one but soon up graded to a thicker pvc model that really keeps me dry add a booney hat and it's all good

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For Bank Fishing

Heck I set up a 12'x12' pavillion type tent with no sides when they are calling for rain and set a chair or two in it. Then put on a rain parka for baiting & reeliing them in. The tight-lining rods are set up close by in VERY STUDY ROD HOLDERS.

:wink:

I COULD fish like this for days in the Rain Storms!!!

:still_dreaming:

18. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    is there a true rain suit to keep you dry? as all the ones i have tryed, i usely get as wet or weter wearing one, as i am as the 2x size, i do perspire [sweat] when wearing one. they work to keep the cold wind off of you but if your having a good time, you will sweat, o well. i am going to try a bimini top on my big john boat, probily be fussing about straps an poles in the way. sometimes its hard to keep a fisher person happy - cockroach

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, but you won't buy one for $19 at Wally World.

Spend some money on a good Gore-Tex suit and you'll stay dry.

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i have an army rain jacket it works pretty darn well.