Rain Gear? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by hooterville, May 6, 2009.

1. hooterville

hooterville New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hello i'm new to the site and am wondering what kind of rain gear some people are using?
    After getting soaked in some toad strangler rains the past few days i have decided to check out some rain gear. I tried on some of the 100mph gear at Bass Pro and there Pro Qualifier gear also. Pro Qualifier was a little cheaper but 100mph looked more rugged but i thought would be warmer and hotter in Summer time weather.Im more interested in bibbs instead of pants due to throwing a cast net in colder weather.
    i tend to wear the bigger sizes due to some good home cooked meals so the walmart sizes are out of the question. :embarassed:I I found the 100mph at Bass pro in the 3x was a little roomy for me but the 2x maybe small with winter clothing on.

Any help would be appreciated.

does anyone have advice on how to break it easily to the wife on how i need some more expensive fishing gear?????:big_smile_2:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've tried several brands & styles. It seems that if they are real heavy duty and won't let a drop through, ya sweat enough to get soaked. I have been using Frog Togs for a couple of years and so far, they are the best I have found in breathable rainwear.

Welcome to the BOC!!!

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One of my favorite quotes is: "My worst fear is when I die, my wife sells my hunting & fishing stuff for what she thinks I paid for it."

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i agree with Tom on this one. they are about as breatheable as you are going to get and they keep ya bone dry. plus they won't put to big of a dent in your wallet. i did not think they would be very durable but i was wrong they are pretty tough.

5. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    best rain gear i have ever owned was the military standard issue rain suit you should be able to find it at any army navy surplus store at a decent price they are somewhat breathable comes with a top and a bottom and you can adjust the pant legs and the arms to fit snug on your boot or wrist used mine in this bad weather we have had down here and didnt get a drop of water on me even while throwing the cast net for an hour in a down pour

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Another vote for FROGG TOGGS!!!......Very wind resistant and breathable... very tough aswell.....

How can Roland Martin be wrong!!! :smile2:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Best ones on the market are Gor-Tex 10X they keep you bone dry, Yet you can wear them in hot weather and not be soaking wet with sweat. In 1987 I bought a set that cost me then $280. They worked perfect until a few years ago. For some reason they shrunk on me. :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:
    Also with them over winter clothing, they will also keep you warm.
    I will be getting frogg Togs next week. I have been hearing so much good things about them. And will even be adding them to our Web-site this summer.
    In rain Wear you get what you pay for. Cheap is not in most cases going to last long. Or keep you dry.

Pete

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Shrunk on ya Pete ? LOL...I hear ya ; )

-Jim-

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pete when you purchase the Frogg Togs but them large enough that the shrinkage want show up.:smile2:

10. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Frogg Toggs all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    another vote for Frogg Togg's here. I've got 2 sets. First set I've had for several years, and have worked excellent. The second set is still in the original wrapping. Got it at BPS last Thanksgiving on sale for $19.99 for a set. Can't beat THAT deal.
    Bill

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Frogg Toggs.....I will NEVER own another pair! I bought a set and used them for a couple seasons, but they don't seem to work in a hard steady rain! I got wet!

I have since purchased the Carhartt rain wear. Couldn't be happier, extremely durable and absolutely no worries on water soaking through. I Paid 42 bucks for the bibs and 42 bucks for the jacket, An Excellent set of raingear for 84 dollars! Plus, everyone knows that Carhartt clothing is tough as nails. They have big sizes too! Trust me....I know!

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    fish naked! welcome to da hood
    smokey

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My biggest flathead was caught during a steady night of rain, I was wearing a trashbag.
    Got a better job and a pair of FrogToggs.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    frogg toggs and i got my set on sale, they normally run 50 bucks and i picked mine up for 25 bucks:wink: infact i have the jacket on in my avatar

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    a nice cheap poncho is all i nedd, lol

17. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I have had a cabelas hooded rain poncho for years that I keep under the seat just in case. It is about knee length so I stay pretty dry. I have fished some pretty heavy rains wearing it.

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Another vote for Frog Toggs, bought them this spring and love them. Plus they pack small enough to carry easily. They are not extremely warm, which is a good thing most of the time, but I have a light fleece shirt and vest I also throw in if it might be a little chilly. The Frog toggs provide the wind breaker and the fleece provides insulation.

19. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well i went inexpensive as well i have a huge poncho that just about hits my ankles that snaps completly down the sides if need be and has a gusset that zips from about mid way between my chest and chin and just leaves a oval shaped eye opening made from a very light weight nylon type of fabric from campmor and a pair of breathable pants from wally world by stearns so the tooshie stays dry when i sit on my bucket or chair , oh ill share a little secret also the light wieght poncho on windier outings would flap in the wind a bit , metal wassher and goop along the bottom hlped with that or my buddy use bell sinkers with alligator clips like from radio shack connected wtith wire and they are removable when not needed .

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a set of DriDucks, they were cheap, 20 bucks, made by Frog Togs. It is the cheaper version. Kinda like a tyvek suit. Jacket and Trousers. My advice, get the Frog Togs, although these were in my budget, the zipper on the coat is hard to zip, and usually comes apart. Other than that they have worked well. I figure for the difference in price the Frog Togs gotta be better quality.