Rain+cold front

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Nov 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last night - a lot of rain, followed by colder weather. River rising a couple feet, maybe more, but not flooding. It is a smaller stream and maybe the cats will be biting?

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a pretty good time to go fishing to me.

My rule of thumb is this:

Before, during and after the rain the fishing improves because of food availablity.

right before a cold front settles in, the fish generally put on the feed bag and become more active.

So, as you described, the conditions appear to be favorable for fishing.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try it out and let us know what happens. Last time I fished during a rainy coldfront, I got skunked. Not even a bite.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    current time: 11:30 AM CST

The river is still rising and I'm goin out today after some grub... that is, most likely I will, why not?

I'll start a new thread if I have any luck. If not, I'll post back here.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    everytime i go out when a coldfront comes in the bite is slow or there is none at all. last time i went out i also got skunkked.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good luck out there Jon, every time out is a learning experience... Don't know about Tennessee but here in Missouri our rivers and lakes are low and till yesterday it's been awhile since any rain. Right now there is actually water flowing in at a few areas, if I were out I'd fish the top 1/3 of the water level for channels and bring for bait, nightcrawlers, frozen chicken livers and minnows. I'd fish the drop of a hole where a creek flows into the river or the drop off of a sandbar into a hole. They will be feeding for sure with the rising water.

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I went today and at first caught 2 largemouth and 1 rock bass. No cats on baitfish or liver. I fished at the mouth of a small creek. Water was up about 2 feet and visibility was about 6 inches. Here's where I fished. (picture taken today while fishing)

lynnwoodbranch_harpethriver.jpg