rain and reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 6, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    will rain rust a baitcaster i got three abues and i fish in storms is that bad, i hope not

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fishing in the rain is ok, but you might think about a little simple maintenance on your reels. You don't have to take them completely apart to dry and clean and lube them. With little patience and an exploded drawing you will have no trouble. And maybe once a year a complete tear down to check for worn parts, put in new drag washers, a good cleaning and new lube.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    NO! They are corrosion resistant. I occasionally wash mine under the water hose. Just keep 'em lubed.
    BB in SC

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Like the above mentioned posts say. Keep your reels lubricated. Myself, I like to use WD-40 on the outer surfaces of the reel. Blakemore Reel Magic is a great product too. I use this stuff before and after every fishing trip. I'll spray the reel and line to help retard water on the reel. Helps keep the line soft and supple.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    no but mine shure dont like it gotta lube them up afterwords or they get squeeky

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It wont hurt the reels ,but watch the lighting !

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    A little rain won't hurt them, but get sand or saltwater in them, that's a different story...

Keep them relatively clean and oiled, you'll be fine..

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I agree with Brownero, Reel Magic really helps, I use it after every trip, especially after a salt water trip. Rinse with fresh water , wipe down and spray with reel magic...