RAIN AND CATFISH? What effect does rain have on catfish activity?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bighoss, Apr 2, 2009.

1. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    What effect does the rain have on catfish if any?I have heard you can catch more fish in the rain.Some thing about the high air pressure???

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I like to fish at the mouths of creeks running into the lake just after a hard rain. I have good luck on eating size cats with worms and shad guts. I will set out one pole with a big live bait.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems they bite better when the barometric pressure is falling. Don't think the rain really has much difference in the way they act, as they are all ready wet. It may bother me, to some extent. And lightning, whowweeeee, get outta the way or I'll run over you.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they stop biting cause they dont want to get wet .but they will be biting later i think

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well if you know where the right spots are when its raining it can be very productive.Like the mouths of feeder creeks cats will hang out there and gorge themselves on all the goodies floating right down to them,its an easy meal for them.So if you dont mind getting wet then you could have a very good day.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the rain dont bother me but im scared of the lightning

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Runs off is the big factor in rainy weather fishing. Run off areas can put in worms and other sediments that attracts the cats and gets them going. I also notice that some fish suspend a lot in this condition. It also brings in catfish to shallower water especially during the winter time.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have always heard its the preasure also .

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah...I just think it's feeding time. They know an easy meal is on the way, so they all fire up simultaniously. I've caught bookoo fish during a storm. All that available food makes them frenzy like when you walk up to the aquarium to feed the fish.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Run off is the key,I have several places on area lakes where I've done this many times.Small feeder creek coming into back of cove that runs lot of water after heavy rain.Timing is critical has to be soon after or during rain while water still pouring in.One place I do this is so small I have to wade into water to fish it with water weeds and just small openings in weeds.I've done this when you can see hundreds of fish boiling around and even banging into my legs.When this is happening its all fish not just catfish.I've caught flatheads,channels,bass,crappie walleye.It can get real exciting.I've done this so many times in so many places its no coincidence.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Out here in the desert though the only rain we usually get in the summer is monsoon storms. You do not what to be out there. I'm going to try to get out right after a few this year and see what happens.

12. jordan93mac

jordan93mac New Member

State:
    IL.
    I all ways have better luck catching channels cats right after it rains.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I fish the rain a lot and have less luck than you would think. I never do good in the rain but I sure do good the next day or two. My best fish have come from the muddy water afterwards.

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have not developed any kind of pattern based on current weather. Rain, no rain, high water, low water, rising barometer, falling barometer, sun, overcast, east wind, west wind, north wind, south wind, no wind.....the list goes on. I've caught fish in all of the above, and also not caught fish in all of the above.

All I do know is that I catch my biggest cats in winter, and when the spring hits I can find the fish upriver.

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    there you go this is my experience... Save for the big cats in winter pattern (in my upstream location, catfish have by and large left for downstream water by the winter).

I would love to establish Some KIND of pattern!?:sad2:

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    these graphs speak for themselves; they are taken during last summer so there is no seasonal variations.

you will see the R2; this means how closely does the data follow the strait line trend...

considering just catfish; I do ever so slightly Better during dryer weather but the data follow the trends just 2%

considering all fish and bites; the trend is even worse. a slightly better "dry" bite only describes the trend just 1%

IN other words; When I caught last summer had nothing to do with how much rain had fallen.

Attached Files:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    on my home waters ive found the following.
    if its been longer than 2 weeks with no rain the influx of a lot of rain works wonders.this is the time i catch most of my better flatheads.if its just enough rain to get the feeder creeks up and muddy i fish where they hit the bigger river or lake.if its enough to get the main river up i like to fish the bigger eddys just below the shoals or rapids.i find that if it rains hard ever 2 or 3 days over a long period i dont see much increase in fish activity.i still go reguardless of conditions cause theres still fish that can be caught.but this is just me.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in upper Tennessee there is a big difference, they all come to the top of the water because it's to hard to open their umbrellas under water. Our cat fish just don't like rain.

19. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i do know this to be true after many years of fishing this pattern. in the winter months( dec-mar) most of the corp operated lakes in my area have been drawn down to winter pool. the cats, and these are channels by the way, go find deep water to hole up in. now when it rains a good hard rain, they run up into the feeder creeks to feed. the reason for this is that plankton really like warm water. the run off that fills the creek arms is warmer water. this in turn attracts the baitfish, shad, skips or whatever. now that all the bait is in the creek arms the cats are going crazy! this pattern is usually better near a tributary but they will still stack up on ledges,bends and flats as well. now this pattern has one kicker, if they cut the gates back at the dam fishing will be slow no matter what. there has to be a good current. they do not stack up in dead water. too many free roamers. as far as blues go, i had one of my best days fishing the month of nov. last year below cannelton dam. caught the hell out of em! it was p-pouring! i was the only guy out there that day fishing for cats. so really the best thing about fishing in the rain is not very many will sit and do it which in turn lets you have the river or lake virtually to yourself! peace.

20. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I don't make it a point to fish in the rain but when it stops I'm headed to the lake - RISING WATER has always been good for me but it's short lived - the fish have so much to eat that I think they fill up then shut down. Usually if it's been a large rain and numerous rains recently the corp. will start releasing water and then the spilling basins are hot. The enitial rains usually have little effect on the fish below the spillways unless it's been hot and there is a fair amount of COOL rain - in this case I'll be at the spilling basin first!