Rain affecting catfish - what do you think?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slipbobber, Jun 2, 2006.

1. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just how much of effect do you guys think a thunderstorm have on catfishing? Is it a pro or con.. Myself i think its a pro, adds fresh oxygen to the water kinda makes them into a frenzy i think....

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sometimes the fall is just as productive

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I remember hearing about one old feller that only went catfishing right after a good rain. Only thing he ever used was nightcrawlers at feeder creeks. The big cats were always there waiting for those worms to be washed into the lake (river, creek, etc.) from the rain.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've had great luck before, during, and right after a rain. The guys on here told me when I first joined that the best spots to fish during a rain is a feeder creek or a lowhead dam. Hope this answered your question.

-Red

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    what about around rip rap,

there is a mighty big storm bruin and i was also curious about the rains affects,

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I agree that fishing is pretty good after a good rain. Even during if the rain is not that heavy and there is no lighting.

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with ya'll It is a Good time.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    feild989,i dont think the rip rap would be the best option bud. like said go to were the food is coming into the watershed. hands down the best time to catch a camera load of big fish!

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    there is only 1 little creek(if u can call it that) where other water is but its a decent sized lake, other than the rip rap i dont know where to go lol

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jeff,
    That one little creek would definatly worth checking during/after a storm. any where runoff is rushing in to a body of water its worth giving it a shot. Try to make an effort to try a new spot each and every time you fish a body of water....Before long you will know it like the back of your hand.

11. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had my biggest cats taken from weeds along the shoreline that is covered with water after a good hard rain these weeds are usually not under water but when it floods over them the big cats seem to know where the fresh new food supply is going tobe .......

12. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    just got back in from fishing after a good rain......the cats were hitting like crazy:big_smile:

13. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have to agree even in the smaller ponds I fish in, the fishing gets better even after a heavy thunder storm, of course I was hiding in the truck till it past. James

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Rain baby rain. With a quick thought for safety, you don't want to be a lightening rod, let it rain. If there is only one fresh water tributary, that's the place I want to be. I like to get right above the mouth and fish right down in it. That water starts the feeding frenzy and you'll work up a sweat landing fish. As long as you have water pouring in you should do well right there. Somebody else had a good point too, try a new spot after you get tired.
    Don