Radon Testing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by alands94, Jan 29, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    As many of you may have heard, radon is being linked to increased risk of lung cancer and various other respiratory/cardiovascular problems. Here in Illinois, a radon disclosure sheet is now required in all real estate transactions (like the lead based paint disclosure). We had our house tested today and it measured almost 3 times higher than the normal level. Now I have to pay almost $900 for the radon mitigation system to be installed :confused2: Good to know now rather than later. FYI - around here the test costs $120-$150.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron sound like you have just spent the stimlus rebate. Better to find and fix before there are health problems.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I been hearin this stuff about radon,But I cant help wondering How come it never was a problem years ago? seems like a 'Ralph Nader Raider' to me ,heck If I believed everything the media feeds me I'd allready be dead :big_smile:

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    If it were a touch above normal, I wouldn't worry about it. But our levels were ridiculous. With a family history of lung cancer and a new baby on the way, I'm not taking any chances. The good thing is that the solution is quite simple and should last indefinitely.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    900 bucks is cheaper than medical expenses with lung cancer or perhaps cionditions like asthma.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree. I don't want to take any chances with my wife and your daughter :wink:

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'd probably MOVE!!!!!

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Approximately 50% of all homes around here have radon levels "significantly higher than normal". The mitigation testing easily corrects the issue. For those who do not know, the mitigation system is simply a hole drilled through the basemant floor. A fan sucks the ground air up through a pipe that goes through the roof where it is harmlessly released. In open spaces, radon is not a problem, only when it is trapped in enclosed spaces.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Richard,
    While I agree with you in principle about not believing everything we are told, there is really nothing to lose by installing a radon system.
    If you go to sell the house the buyers are going to have the test done as part of the home inspection anyway and then they'll want you to put one in. If you know you have radon you may as well have the system and get the benefits...W