Radio while fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by IL_CATFISH, Jun 26, 2007.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many of you guys listen to the radio on those all night fishing excursions? Do you think that having a radio on will have an adverse effect on fishing?

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Ryan.I listen to the radio while I fish and it dosen't seem to bother the bite,but then I keep it low also.I suppose if a person had it blairing loud that it might scare the fish though.JMHO. J.D.:roll_eyes:

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i listen to the radio sometimes. i just dont play it loud. i cant really tell a difference one way or the other. to be honest though, id rather listen to the hoot owls if they are out.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think it will effect blues or channels but, the noise might spook flatheads.
    Also, fishing on big rivers with barge traffic, a radio playing could mean the difference between hearing a barge and not in some cases, they will sneak up on you if you ain't carefull.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I ussually don,t have the radio on, but when I fish with a couple of buddy's they always do. Can't tell a difference.
    Chip

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't even take a radio out with me when I'm fishing; I don't even play one when I'm camping.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    One of the things i like about fishing is the peace and quiet--no radio for me!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I like to have one along to keep updated on the weather.Not only can Barges sneak up on you ,so can't the weather. Been caught out in before. At least a barge has a bright light that most times will blind you so you know it's coming.Here the radio I take.Cheap,and easy to carry.Hope it came out.

Attached Files:

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess I grew up in an old fashion house hold...

When you went fishing with my Dad you better be quite...Nature is a funny thing...I don't think today you will have much effect on the fish biting but I still pratice my Dads rules of being quite while fishing also I pay closer attention to my rods and the thnigs outside and get some peace for it...Dad said thats why they call it fishin and not (Talking) I personally think it was his way of tell us kids to shut up:eek:oooh:...LOL

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    only till the cardinal game':wink:s over

11. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I was taught by my Dad and Grandfather to be quiet while fishing so not o spook the fish. Then I fished around a deaf family some and they made lots of noise. They caught fish and so did I. They had no idea how much noise they were making, but they had fun.

12. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys.

My pops was the same way when we were kids. I think he just wanted some peace and quiet. Can't say I blame him.

My bro and I are planning an all nighter this weekend on a smaller river. We will have trots and bank poles out so we will be running those and pole fishing. I just couldnt think of a much better setting: cold beer, good company and some country music in the back ground. I just didnt want to scare the fish off.

Thanks to all for the help.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I had a man once tell me the biggest difference between catfishermen and bass fishermen was in the amount of noise they made.
    Bass fishermen ease up onto a spot from way out like an Indian stalking supper.
    Catfishermen use whatever means it takes to get to the spot whether its a Briggs and Stratton outboard or a paddle in the hands of the wife and all the youngins.

Bass fishermen dont use their electronics for entertainment. When they find what they are looking they shut the thing off.
    Catfishermen seem to use them as a safety blanket or a night light or atleast it appears that way. Fish can hear the dang things. Look up the word S-O-N-A-R and see what it means.

And the last thing I have taken notice to since I was informed by this person to just watch and observe is anchoring.
    Most folks fishing you'll see them ease an anchor over the side and slowly let line out until it hits bottom.

The catfisherman looks like a shot putter up on the bow of his boat winding up to throw some contraption from the acres of graveyards he's built.

Nope, I dont play a radio on the boat if I'm fishing. Water carries sound like wire carries electricity and a catfish's whole body is one big sensor.
    Its kind of like this.
    When I smoked I smoked in my treestand deer hunting. Although it was obvious I still saw deer but my chances of seeing the MONSTER were greatly reduced.
    I think the same for fishing. I think there are alot of things you can do on and in the water and still catch fish but not the trophy fish.

Alot of what you read above about the differences is unbelievably true in alot of cases.
    I wouldnt dare say all catfishermen were like those I mentioned above or even all bass fishermen knew what they were doing either. You can look at any kind of fisherman and pretty much tell if they know what they are doing.

A professional bass fisherman that was invited out catfishing enlightened me on the differences.
    Being that he didnt catfish and did bass fish for a living he could readily see the differences and immediately held class on the boat with those NC "rednecks".
    They do it alot differently now.

Seems like most people on this site fish out of aluminum boats. Aluminum transmits sound like a Bose speaker in a Chevette.

14. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I always have a radio. Never really though much of it because there is so much noise in the areas I fish.

15. csellelrs

csellelrs New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I dod't want a adio in the boat with me. Like the peace and quiet