Radiator?? Head Gasket?? Head?? Leaking somewhere....

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by teaysvalleyguy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, maybe this is a question that I am gonna post that I probably do not want to know the answer too.

Well, I am leaking antifreeze but not sure where. It is not dripping so I am guessing that it is burning which means head or head gasket.

So, really dont have the $$$ to fix right now so I am gonna try this "Bars Leaks Head Gasket Repair-Block Steal (Cooling Stop Leak) Permanent Rapair. (Seals Cracked Heads, Repairs Blown Head Gaskets, Stops Block Leaks)

How it is advertised anyway.

Anyone ever tried the stuff. It was $10 I think.

I put in some Prestone Radiator Cleaner the other day and ran it for time I was told to do so. I flushed the radiator probably 5-6 times today and almost got all the antifreeze out I think. I have to remove it all before I can add this stuff, if any is in there then it can clog.

Wish me luck and hope that this will work. Poor man got poor ways.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Check you oil and see if it has a white milky look to it, if so then I would think it was a head are head gasket. Most shops will do a pressure test for free to see where you are leaking fluid. It does not always just leak sometimes you have to pressurize the system. Good luck. I have used bar's leak to get home one time and it did work for a short while until I got to do the proper repairs

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    It's a good product. Poor boy too. Be sure and turn the heat off. Don't want it circulating thru the heater core unless you have a leak in the cab.
    Be sure and shake that product up too. Vigorously. But it can get you where you need to be to fix the bigger problem.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Tea,be sure to do like Gary said turn the heater off.That stuff has been know to plug up heater cores.Personally I don't like the stuff.Usually cost you more in the long run with plugged up lines. But not always.Best of luck to you.Just my opinion!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just as Benji Said, usually your motor oil will have a milky appearance if it is a head gasket or other internal leak.

If it is getting into the combustion chamber(burning it), there should be lots of stinky white smoke coming out the exhaust.

BEFORE putting in any Stop-leak product see if you can get someone locally to do a pressure check to determine where it is @.

Many times it is a small external leak that comes across metal hot enough to evaporate it prior to it hitting the ground; therefore no visual sign:confused2:

Keep us posted & good luck, Elliot

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A better explanation of what i was trying to say thanks

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Looks like everyone pretty much covered it--good luck Tea. Just so you know regular pepper will stop small raditor leaks, just as well as the pricey stuff you buy off the shelf.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Yep, I agree with splitshot. Pepper works good. Blew the head gasket in my old Toyota @ 274,000 miles. Cost just to replace head gaskets on the V6 is between 1500 and 2 grand. Bought another truck. Probably warped the heads on it too. Got my moneys worth out of the old gal tho.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a product called Steel Seal that is supposed to permanently seal heads and/or head gaskets. I believe I paid $69.00 a bottle. If I can find it I will give you a bottle just to see if it works. Are you sure there is no seepage on the right rear top of the engine?

Good Luck,

Shawn

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, the Oil is not a milky color. Clean as can be. But, I am leaking somewhere. I will call today to see if I can get a pressure test to find out where it is leaking.

Thanks for the heads up, will do the bars leak as a last result.

11. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Shawn, I do not seen any leakage there buddy.

Find that product and give me a hollar, I'll test it out for ya. lol

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    A pressure check should reveal the leak quickly, should it not, get some coolant leak detection dye and put it into the radiator. By the next time you need to add coolant the dye will show up with a blacklight.

Most parts stores carry the dye products, there are some for oil, A.C. etc.

DON'T put the stop leak in yet:eek:oooh:

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? I've seen a lot of coolant leaks that were slow and only leaked when hot, others only leak when cold. Sometimes you can have a minor leak that is running down the block or exhaust and "boiling off" before you can see it. If your oil isn't milky and you don't have any white smoke, I would say you probably don't have a head gasket leak. Bar's leak will get you home, but it can cause problems too. Water pumps don't tend to like it too much and it can even plug you drain on the radiator. If you are losing coolant, then you just need to put some pressure on it and it will show up. let us know what you find out. later

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have seen leaks around the intake manifold that are hard to detect as it burns away. Usually just the odor of anti freeze when it is warm. I agree with the rest. DON"T use the stop leak yet. Get a pessure check. Shouldn't cost much. If you were closer I would do it for you. Bought a kit for my personal use years ago.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Tea-get a horse...its easy to tell where its leaking!!

16. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, pressure check was $19.99, revealed a bad water pump and leak. $300 later car should be back to normal soon. Supposed to pick it up at 3:00. So, still gonna be poor for a while. Getting kinda used to it. LMAO

Thanks everyone for the replys.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Hey Tea, if that is your Caravan & it has a 3.0 V-6 engine, I hope that they are replacing the timing belt @ the same time, there isn't any additional labor as it needs to be removed to get @ the pump(it drives it)

Hope I caught you in time:roll_eyes:

18. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    good luck..............

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    glad ya found the leak. one thing not mentioned, for future reference, check the floorboard n see if the carpet is wet, if so, yer heater cores leakin.

20. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks buddy, but it was my car. 90 Olds 88.

Seems to run good, no antifreeze smell or leakage. So far so good.