racing series question?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Bayoubear, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    i gave up on nascar ages ago but am curious to learn if there is perhaps overseas? or such a racing circuit thats basically unlimited.
    by this i mean no restrictor plates, no tuned down engines, no speed limits, no one cares of the the retaining screw on the oil pan is 1/1000000th too long, etc... ill follow it via online news if i have to. i would love to follow racing again of some sort.
    thanks

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Have you watched the Dakar sieries:thumbsup: on ODL? Racing Africa. 100 mph and more across all kinds of terrian. Robbie Gordan did not finish this year. It's a neat race. Bikes, cars, Big trucks, pick ups etc. all on the same paths at the same time.
    Bill

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    None that I know of, except the Dakar Rally which is an off-road endurance race similar to the Baja desert racing. The Dakar is only once a year I believe.

4. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yea i would think that any series for money is going to have rules how they are enforced is the diffrence.I prefer Dirt Late Model racing more than any other fourm Nascar second but im a redneck lol.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If there is a go kart track around you go watch those. My daughter and I started racing karts when she was 7. We raced till she was 15 (found boys)
    We made enough to pay for motor rebiulds. The motors were briggs 5 hp that turned out 12 hp. Fuel was alcohol. No seat belts no roll bars. We ran a 1/4 mile hi bank and she would run in the upper 60's scared the hell out of me watching her.
    Bill

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Go to a dirt track near you. If they cant kick your butt on the track they'll kick it in the pits and there aint no Nascar around to fine anyone.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks for the tips, ill look into that dakar for sure. My bro does the U track 4wd mud races which ive followed a bit and have a good time when i go. the more i thought about my question i realized i was asking the impossible.... nascar the way it was 30 years ago.

i dont want to get into a huge "why i think nascar sux" discussion as thats in no way my intent. I figured there may be some old school die hard fans that could turn me on to some REAL racing. i know a lot of yall love the modern nascar and thats great, im happy you enjoy it. i dont, my choice.

thank you and good day.

8. catfishredneck

catfishredneck New Member

State:
    Timpson texas
    bayou i respect your opinion. nascar is all about politics on the track and money. though i do love nascar still hoping to see it revert back to the old days won't ever happen. to many rules that change when then they want to. take out the rule book weld some 56 chevy bumbers front and rear and then lets see what happens wood make for a good race.

9. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    There is still some Dirt tracks that run just about like old days Grand National days.Todays Dirt Late Models are high dollar race cars but go watch ProStocks or Limited Lates or Street stocks there called diffrent things depending on where your at but they still run for FUN not the money.I have been to small tracks and seen guys not even have a fire suit or driving uniforum on and that was just two years ago at Atomic Speedway in Oak Ridge Tenn i couldnt belive the Officals allowed him to do it lol.But there is to much money in Nascar and now in DLMs also but money has brought speed and rules to racing.I still have great memories of old Dirt and Grand National races but i have some good new ones also.

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    Thanks, I tried once to get into dirt track but our local scene here is pretty lame. Just when it was starting to gather steam several yrs ago the key players all decided they would rather do the crash derby stuff. There was even talk a couple yrs ago about building a major raceway locally to cover all the major motorsports but the idea was killed when residents around proposed track locations threw such a fit. Aside from the traffic and noise pollution concerns another was they didnt want the huge nascar money machine sucking up all the cash from our area twice a year. Projected tix prices would have put a nascar event out of reach for the average redneck to take his family to anyway.

youre correct i think about the politics and money taking it over. they have become so paranoid about their public image its very core has shifted. saw a documentary not long ago about nascar and some suit and tie fellow was throwing a fit about the tailgaters before the race with rebel flags on their RV's and how that they wanted to put a stop to it. i laughed so hard i think i shot rice krispies out my nose. the next topic was how nascar has an almost non-existent black fan base and how that untapped market is next on thier agenda, ditto for the latino population too. in the next five yrs i look for both a black and latino driver to be a consistent top ten finisher.

racing? i dont think so. ive a right to my opinions just like yall do yours. Its nothing to do with the cars... restrictor plates??? my god,,, a professional racing car with training wheels. how absurd. rules so assinine as to castrate any real high performance car out there. if a driver cant keep a fast car on the track then perhaps they belong on dirt track and not nascar. the drivers??? to a point yes but they are so homogenized as to be cookie-cutter stamps in different color uniforms. no real individuality or personality anymore. hell theyre not even allowed to talk to the press much without a nascar PR person approving what they say. lord forbid a driver actually has an opinion about something...

that iroc race was a good idea in theory but still missed the mark. IMHO
    want to find out who the best drivers are? why not take 100 ford mustangs, or corvettes, or whatever.... factory stock off of a showroom floor, as is w/ no modifications whatsoever and lets see who can drive.
    lets not forget the whole reason we even have a nascar is from the southern rednecks in souped up street cars hauling whiskey over the backroads. IMO requiring actual driving skill way beyond a couple hours of one giant left turn.