Racing Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by YeeHaw, Mar 19, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Could someone send me info on how to make a racing lawn mower? Or how to make a mower go faster, i'm thinking about getting into mower racing for a little bit of fun. Thanks a lot.

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just put a bigger sprocket on the front(engine) or a smaller sprocket on the rear or both.I have one I made out of an old garden tractor with a 8hp briggs engine.It's alot of fun,it will stand straight up in 3rd gear while spinning the tires at about 25 mph on a gravel road.When I first moved down here to the lake I brought it down and people ride go-carts and small buggies all around here.They never seen a hillbilly dust their britches on a lawn mower before,you should have seen their expression.(priceless)

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Your just trying to hurry up and get that grass cut so you can go fishing!

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Evan,

Forget this idea... you'll put your eye out, kid!!!

From what I have seen, you have to pull everything off that is dead weight and that has nothing to do with the motor, the drive train and the steering.

5. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    LOL!!! that might work I still have the deck for it around,but I did pull the deck off.It's not the regular snapper kind of mower but just an old garden tractor.If I can figure out how to put up a picture I'll go out and snap one real quick.It's nothing fancy just a cheap toy.

6. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    OK I'll try this first try at posting a pic.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That has to be a deadly device for L-4 and L-5 with no suspension:)

8. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I have a trailer hooked to the back right now so I can sit back there and let the grandkids drive it they have a blast.I do leave it in first gear for them though.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i had a tennessee fella drive here last week and picked up a old wheel horse rider he won off ebay from me and i thought it strange that a guy would drive all the way from his area for this old rider till he told and showed me what he does with them.

although this aint his tractor here is something along the same lines.

i will email him and hopefully he will send me pics of his to share with you guys.

11. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    LOL!!! Yea,I already have some serious back trouble so I have no cushion between my L-4 and L-5.So no suspension on that adds up to pretty short rides for me.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Yes DRC my brother and I use to build some like that. up until a couple years ago when his health went south.
    You can sure put some major bucks in those things. But they are alot of fun to pull with. These old red neck hillbillies sure get serious about it to.

13. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    That one was pretty nice.Back in my old hometown all summer on Saturday nights they have a "rodeo" with their little tractors and have pulls and drag races.They're fun to watch,some of them have more in their lil tractors than I do in my truck lol.Mine is just my little garden tractor I have several sets of pulleys for it.I can gear it down to work and have a plow,disc,blade and other attachments for it.It's alot more fun than my big tractor.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  15. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thanks a lot guys for these awsome pictures, and advice. I'm currently trying to find a belt driven mower in my Grandpa's junk yard, but i also have an old cub cadet Hydrostatic drive mower now. Does anybody know how to rigg that one to go fast?

16. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thanks bubbakat that is a sweet picture, mine isn't gonna look that good though.LOL

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Some of those mowers look real good for racing.
    I have a 61 inch Skagg zero turn mower with a 27 hp. kohler engine and stock it runs about 22 mph in forward gear and 16 mph in reverse and thats faster than I want to go a mower but I have had thoughts on building my Chevy 350 4 bolt to put on it just to see peoples reactions, that is still in the back of my mind too. LOL :)

18. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    that's pretty funny.

19. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Hey Crispy Critter, how fast does that thing go? What did you do to it to make it go. Where can you find a mower like that or simular. For just a little bit of money.

20. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Well since it don't have a speedometer I don't know exactly.It will outrun a gocart or mini bike.Somewhere around 40mph.I could gear it up faster but it wouldn't be very safe,that's much faster than they're designed to run.My dad has one that will outrun it but he is insane:D Most any farm supply will have pulleys in many sizes all you need to do is measure your shaft to get the right size to slip on it.Just remember the bigger the pulley on the motor the faster it will go.The reverse is true on the rear,the smaller the pulley the faster.Then take a piece of string and wrap around them to find what size belt you need.Keep in mind they weren't built with this in mind you don't want to break your steering linkage running that fast.It can throw you a pretty good loop,I know first hand,I didn't get this crippled up from being real smart on home-made contraptions and motorcycles.You live and learn.I have a bad back,wrecked hip,and a bum knee.Not to mention I've had quite a few broken bones,but I'm still not much smarter;) As to where to find them I don't know about your area,They're sitting around everywhere though.I found this one cheap, sitting with a stuck motor.It had a 7hp tecumseh and I put a 8hp briggs on it.