Racing in the rain

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Kittyhunter, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I think Nascar should supply rain tires and require teams to have wipers on the cars in case of rain. Everybody else does it, why not Nascar? That would throw a whole new level of racing into the picture. I bet some of the guys you don't hear much from would show the others a thing or two. Heck, guys race freaking motorcycles in the rain. You already have guys that are good on short tracks, guys good on superspeedways, road courses. I'm sure you would see guys stand out on a wet course too.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've often wondered the same thing myself.

And, why not add break lights to the cars. They could be setup with red and green. On gas, green, off gas red and green, on brake red

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i often wondered that too. the only thing is on the tracks at the speeds with banks im not sure that even a tredded tire would grip well. and heck, so many lil things that go wrong now. ive seen guys being pushed off the starting grid. how do ya send a 1/4 million dollar stock car onto national tv without testing the starting switch? and the radio isn't working. come on. the gas stuck open. could you immagine a wiper motor added to the list???????????????????????????????????? heck no. at 190 jimmie johnson cant tell that dale jr didn't push him into elliot sadler at dega sunday with 47 cameras saying different so what would he do in the rain kill someone. lmao. like benny said the #8 must have hit him 300 yards before the wreck cause the cam's showed different.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    The answer to the grip question would be to slow down. Simple enough. I think this would introduce a whole new level of skill to the sport.

5. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I being a big race fan of Dirt racing i hate the rain lol and im sure Nascar does to i think.The fans leave the track i for one wouldnt set in stands and watch during rain then what if lighting Insurace covering fans and if fans leave track doesnt sell enough beer pop food and souviners.I do think Nascar likes a rain out ever once in awhile so tracks and citys gets extra day of income because Nascar is all about the $$$ JMO

6. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I don't know ohio, I've seen folks sitting in the rain waiting for it to stop so they can dry the track. I think you'd be surprised at how many would stay. Heck, they already drove to the track, some a long distance, camped out the weekend, invested money to see the race, I bet they'd stay.

Cats, as far as the wiper motor, they could have them in all cars with a quick disconnect arm, so when not in use the arm isn't affecting aerodynamics. If needed, they can pop the arm on, swap the tires, and go racing. Now I agree there probably would be some tracks that may not make good rain tracks and that could be considered. The motor is a simple device that shouldn't give much trouble. There are millions af cars on the road with wipers that have never given a problem. There are some that have though (Chevrolet trucks for one). Hey, they are subject to have a bad battery, coil, etc. now. I don't think the wiper motors would be that much of an issue no more than they would be used.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was at bristol in 99 spring race. i flat poured for 30 min. i ran as fast as i could right under the bleachers and thats as far as i went. even sat drinking beer watching the jet dryers right after the stray shower passed. :cool:

8. ohiocattracker

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Your right i have set in grandstands and on hillsides in mud at dirt tracks and Nascar tracks in rain but i dont want to watch it in rain.Thats why i said i think Nascar likes rain delays and rain outs every once in awhile so tracks and towns there in make some more money.But i would like to see it happen at the road corses the rest of the tracks i dont feel fans would go for it.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nascar is not F-1 or any other series of open wheeled racing.
    Nascar should not and I hope not try to be like everyone else.
    Nascar is a totally different breed of people from owners to fans compared to say the F-1 grey poupon eaters. We throw chicken bones in the stands, not wine corks.
    Nascar teams arent using a tire wider then the deck lid , just one more reason not to race in the rain other then the fact who in the hell is going to push the issue with passing? The dont make enough rain-x to travel 200mph and jam the brakes in the corners.

Some folks are so intent on changing Nascar into something it wasnt born of and is not. Those typically are the newer fans that are completely oblivious and not so fortunate as to have seen what Nascar stock car racing is and was before the money came in to it.
    It dont get any better then the Petty, Baker, Pearson, Allison, And a Yarborough at North Wilksboro or Darlington.
    Nascar has its own personality and it should be left alone.
    If you want to watch cars race in the rain, get up at 4AM and watch F-1.
    I wouldnt even turn on the tv for any type of car racing in the rain much less buy a ticket to see it.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree. a rain out is one more day off work for me. i ain't coming home till its run. and i would sit in the rain to wait and see it not sit in the rain and watch it. :D

11. ohiocattracker

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Great post Mark my thoughts exactly and this redneck has to laugh at the F-1 grey poupon eaters coment thats funny i dont care who ya are.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok since Nascar started on the pretense of running booze why not put a couple of hundred pounds of bottled whatever in the back to make it like it was. Granted its not the same but nothing is. I mean this as a joke by the way so dont get your panties in a bunch about this :)

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    what mark said.

i am not going to go watch a race when it is raining.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Stock car racing and rain and just dont mix well together, these guys tear up enough sheet metal the way it is,lol. I hope to never see Nascar go to racing in the rain. I also think it would weed out some of the better drivers in the sport.

15. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    First of all, if I had planned a race weekend, spent money to go and stay there all weekend, bought tickets seen a third of the race and it started raining, I'd much rather stay and watch it than have to go home without seeing the rest of it.

Second, if your willing to sit in the rain and eat chicken and drink beer waiting for the rain to stop so they can race, why not sit in the rain and watch them race?

Third, Nascar was created as a result of boozerunners, I bet they didn't stop running when it started raining. I never said Nascar was F-1 or any other type of racing. I just think there should be other options if it started raining. It doesn't take a tire as wide as the deck lid to race in the rain. Just a tread pattern that will funnel the water away. Motorcycles race in the rain all the time with a 2 inch wide contact pattern touching the track and passing doesn't seem to be a problem. Naturally they don't charge into the corners at 200 mph, but it showcases a whole different talent when the track is wet. You will have driver's that excell on wet pavement just like you see on road courses, short tracks, etc. I have been around and seen some of the older driver's racing. I'm not trying to single handedly change Nascar, but the sport has evolved from what it used to be and it will continue to do so as long as it is around. Everything in life is different than in the 70's and there's nothing anybody can do to change it back. If something you enjoy evolves into something you don't, then sometimes you must find other sources of enjoyment. I did this with boxing. I used to love to watch boxing, but now it has gotten to the point where the referee stops the fight at the first sign of blood or the first time a fighter stumbles. What happened to letting them fight as long as they could stand up and wanted to fight? So now, I don't watch it anymore. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't enjoy watching them race in the rain, but I bet there are some that would. So, if they are already there, why not let them race?

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Did you ever see the Winston Cup Race in Ogasaka(sp) Japan that was ran in the rain?
    It SUCKED! That aint racing, That is riding in a congo line.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the UFC was cool to when there were only two rules. no biting, no eye gouging. thena few died. hell. they were better off with one less eye.

winston.(they will always be winston to me) cup racing. the cars are on the edge od spinning every lap. just a simple areo push and there squirly. ok. you pick the tires. heltons ain't gonna do it. just ain't and i hope ever gonna end up in nascar. so far with your ideas it would have to be completly changed to another sport.

no i ain't gonna bad rep ya. but man. if ya used to like it. and now wish it was like the good old days. what would we do if they were exact, raced in the rain, didn't cuss, acted like perfect gent's, no manufacturers bodys, all were white 23, and blonde and all wore suits and ties. it would be the worst sport in america not the fastest growing.

and if i went to a race 300 miles away and we got a mon rain delay. "boss. ill be there tues cause the race was rained out today." like it on not. ill ge there till the checkered. i was looking for a job when i found this one. :glare:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mark, i believe the town was (suzaka)japan. and mike skinner was the winner. only cup event he won and it was non point event.

i watch nascar cause its on the edge asphalt racing when dry. in the rain it would be a 140 mph pace lap. 200 mph is a race. who the hell would pass kyle petty in the rain at 140mph. not even kurt bush and hes the dumbest one out there messing with big jimmy spencer. lmao. blacked his eye.

nascar has changed a bunch. so far the only thing i hate is the chase. if a gut is 400 points out let him go he earned it. why would we want iroc every sunday. there cool 4 times a year. same guys same cars same wrecks. let keep nascar the way it is for now. they have changed enough in the last few years to discouradge me. any more changes and ill be sportless. ive alredy gave my opinion on all other sports.

ask me who played in last years superbowl or world series or nba finales. cause i have no idea. nascar is my one sport. ask me who dale jarrett is married to. patty makarr. bobby labontes old crew chiefs sister. his name is jimmy makerr. (spelling). and elliot sadlier his team mate is the bologna eating champ at one track. tall is 2.66miles the longest, bristol is 36 degs banking the steepest.

jarrett is one of three father son champs. bp won it in 68. (before i was born). richard petty has over 200 wins in cup to earnhardts 70 some. 73 i believe. this knowladge comes from serious fans. what hat did dave marcus always wear?????????/ i know. well lets see i bet mark gets that one first. lol. come on mark i know you know that one.

nascar has roots. i hope they keep em best the time allowes. they go to one car follow the leader in the rain i ain't watching.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jeremy You didnt mention J. Gordon LOL doesnt he have more wins than Earnhart SR. I know he has more winnings. I personally like JG mainly due to the fact that he doesnt whine (as much) as Waltrip/Rusty Wallace. Im all for some good racing but when they whine about who crashed them and such it gets old let them go to the back of the Trailer and beat each other up.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dave Marcus always wears wingtip shoes in and out of a race car.
    No fancy little fire retardant race shoes for him.