Raccoons On My Deck

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by festus, Oct 23, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I've been noticing my outside cat was eating way too much food. Or I thought. This morning I was greeted by 2 raccoons staring in my backdoor. This is the first time any have showed up in many, many years. Is it best to feed them or will they become too pesky? I've known folks in town that have mixed feelings, some love them, some hate them. They haven't been digging in the garbage cans because I don't store any waste that would attract them. The cheapest cat food would be sufficient, wouldn't it?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    get a mean dog:wink:

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Do not feed those raccoons! They will become a huge pain in your rear end. Once they figure out where the food is coming from they'll go for the source...in your house. Best bet is to remove any food from outside when you don't see your cat eating it. Wait for your cat to come to the door and then put food out for it. Remove it when the cat is not eating. Trust me on this, you do not want to feed those 'coons.

Good luck.

4. festus

festus New Member

We got a mean one already, Jeffro, a miniature chihuauah!! Also have a blue healer.

5. festus

festus New Member

I know people in Oak Ridge who feed the raccoons and they say the only problem is they muddy up their cat's water. My mother also gets them around occasionally, and the only problem they cause is prying the garbage can lids off. I don't really think they will cause many problems. We live way out in the boondocks and our neighbors have a goat farm with 5 huge Great Pyrennes dogs running about. Don't think the coons will mess with them. Some neighbors guinea hens were killed a few nights ago, don't know if it was coons, possums, weasel, or mink. Could have also been coyotes or fox.

Those raccoons are sure smart. One of my mother's neighbors kept getting his minnows stolen. He set the minnows in a small creek in the inside liner of a galvanized minnow bucket. He kept thinking a kid was opening the lid and pouring them out, when it was coons. They figured out how to use the latch. :big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Festus, I have just agreed to become your friend in the friend request section.

Now Festus as one friend to another, and I realize this might be too soon and all, but I have a suggestion for you Lad..................

Back in the fifties when I was a growin' up, that is before cars, indoor plumbing and cooked food Festus, there was a popular guy named "Davy Crockett". he was as famous as some of the current rock stars.

However he was intelligent Festus, unlike some (most) of today's Rock Stars (politicians included). You know what that smart man did Festus? HE MADE COONSKIN CAPS OUT RACCOONS and as a friend Festus I would strongly suggest you do the same.

Davy, Davy Crockett
    King of the wild Frontier..

And coon killer Festus.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    but that is soooo in humane! :wink:

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    it'll be a problem if rabies are ever found i your area.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just commonsense Jefro, commonsense. Humanity be dambed.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    humanity sean hannity send me one of them ringtailed dust rags

11. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    My dad solved a simple coon problem.....He gave the raccoon there very own bowl of food. The coon stopped eating out of the garbage cans and started eating every night out of his bowl. Tooo funny though he gained a bunch of weight and man he waddled up the steps after a certian point! LOL Love God's creatures and they will love ya back

12. festus

festus New Member

Postbeetle, does raccoon meat taste good? I'd be willing to try. My better half would KILL ME however if I killed one of the raccoons.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yepper it does Festus. Roast the mother. Greasier than a pig.

Go to a game feed down in your neck of the woods someplace, I am sure they would have it. Stay away from the Okra though that stuff will kill ya.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  14. festus

festus New Member

I'm sure if I threw the garlic and spices to it John, I could eat it....Now okra is one of my favorite vegetables. The only problem with okra is I get an Okra Counterattack soon afterward. You know, a trip to the toilet.:big_smile:

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    To me it just depends on what type of person you are. I remember a guy down the road caught a fox in his garage, I ask him what he did. He said he shot it..Why? I dont understand the need to kill any animal that isnt being aggresive just cause its around your house. If your hunting thats one thing, but to kill something just cause its a pest is stupid to me. I live in the country and there is always a critter around my house. Turkeys, coyotees, fox, possum, raccoon, groundhogs, deer. I just mind my own business and they mind theirs.

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a 6 foot chain link fence around my place. 6 dogs inside it, and a couple of guns too.......but it never fails, and i am sure it will happen again in the next month or so....possums and coons find my yard irresistible...they spend the night in a tree or my barn...the dogs worry about it all night long. i try my best to ignore them 'til the morn, as i don't want to dispose of a carcass in the middle of the night. my mutts get downright peeved at me if i don't give them a minute with the newly deceased:smile2:

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You mean if reported.
    I killed a red fox one night that was trying to get in my house through a screen door.
    I killed a coon in the middle of the day that was in my front yard. He would stand up on his hind legs and fall over backwards. Over and over.

Both animals were rabid no doubt.
    I didn't report either of them.

You might as well figure rabies is going to be everywhere.
    It's matter of what risks you are willing to take, especially with coons hanging in the yard. Coons seem to be prolific in carrying rabies.

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree totally.....wild animals are best left to the wild, especially coons. You feed them and next thing is your are trying to figure out how they got into the house.....racoons are smart. And they may be cute and cuddly, but they are viscious, so if one does get into the house, open up the door and make a lot of noise, he will leave on his own accord, dont try and force him to leave.

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You are lucky my wife wont let me "Shoot the pets" as she calls them. Had a dang deer that loved my tomatos. I had a fine bead drawn on him right there in the garden, eating away, and my wife threw a fit... "Dont you dare shoot that deer". I tried to explain to her, that all of gods creatures had a place in life and his was right next to the taters. I lost that one. That deer ate better than I did, he had tomatos, loved the okra and bell peppers, then his sweet tooth would get to him and he would hit the peach trees, plum or apple trees, then he would wonder over and get a nice clean drink out of the swimming pool....

20. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    your best bet if you dont want to kill it is to relocate it.get a trap like a hav-a-hart type trap,bait it with a honey bun and any racoon around will go in it.then carry it to a remote area and release it.problem solved (for now).