Raccoon Lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Hey folks...

I made the drive out to Raccoon Lake to fish, tried the main lake, but had no luck. Decided to go below the dam to the spillway, wasnt a place to fish at any of the spots cleared. Decided to just look, watch, and see what was being caught. Well, a couple groups left and opened some spots up and we got in our favorite place.

Ok, so to start that experience off something very disheartening was discovered upon walking our gear down to the shore. Someone had caught, and killed a quite large snapping turtle, it was the size of the wheel/hub cap on a small car. The shell was about 16 inches across, and weighed about 50 - 60 pounds. They had laid it on its back/shell on a rock, and used another rock to smash its head. They just left it laying on the rock dead in the sun to decompose. Looking at the blood pool, and rocks, I would estimate the turtle was only dead a few hours at most. I just dont understand how people can be so cruel, if the turtle was that hard to unhook, just give it the hook and tie a new one on, how much is a hook really?, about 10 cents? I will give someone a hook to prevent this kind of stupidity. Dang, I will give you an entire pack of hooks.

OK, now on to the fishing portion. I must say, it was tough to start, fishing for flats in the day is quite difficult. I was told the stripe bass are plentiful in Raccoon, especially considering they dumped about 12000 in this season alone. Well, that turned out to be the first thing to bite today, the stiper was about 6 inches long, after that it was a bluegill. Let me remind you, I had 2 poles out with cut shad trying for my flat. But I kept fishing, and it got interesting. I never caught a flat but that didnt mean I didnt catch anything I didnt like. I ended up setting up a pole for the top and fishing with beemoth to pass time. Well the first fish I caught afterwards was a Channel about 12 inches long, on a beemoth. Well, I then proceeded to catch bluegill after bluegill all getting bigger with each catch. What is funny my mom was sitting about 20 yards down stream from me, she was fishing with red jumpers, and ended up reeling in to check her line, all too unaware she had caught something not knowing it. She reeled in a BABY flathead about 7 - 8 inches long. You want to talk about the cutest fish ever seen. I took it off her hook for her, and looked at him, and told him to come see me when I am about 70 years old, and bring me some happiness in the future.

Well, that is all I have for the board tonight. Gonna go think some more about how cruel some people are in this world to just kill something the way they did the turtle.

Hope everybody else had a good fishing weekend and was safe.

take care.

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC, Jim. Yes there alot of cruel, inhumane people out there that do stupid things like they did to that poor turtle. Atleast you and your mom managed to get past that and have a good little fishing trip regardless. Sometimes its not so much a matter of what type of fish you are catching as it the fact that you are catching something period. Good luck on future trips and I look forward to reading some of your other posts.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jim, I've noticed you've been workin' your tail off for a flathead... I think you've even been here in my neck of the woods in your quest. anyone who tries that hard deserves a flathead!
    I got a good feeling your fishing in the wrong spots at the wrong time with the wrong bait and wrong gear for flatties.
    Channels are just about everywhere.... flatheads are not.

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Honestly, I am sure you are right. I will tell you, I have recently been looking at Satellite maps of White River seeking out the deepest parts to fish during the day. I am trying, but still coming up short, but for only being back to fishing about 5 weeks now? I am getting back in the swing. I dont recall fishing so many days thru the week before though...

Now as far as bait, I am using some sliced/bloody shad, and shad "chunks" as my bait.

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Oh yea, and you said your neck of the woods?. I have been all over White River, I have been to the waverly site, henderson ford bridge, and many places way north of both of those. I am gonna try the "Chevy" rock dam this weekend, and a couple other places along White River....

6. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    try some good sized live creek chubs or bluegills. i think pumpkin seed sunfish work the best because they are so lively even after a while of being on the hook

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah, you beat me to it... just got back from the river,,, (I was stormed out)
    Try to fish from dusk till say midnight or so. with LIVE BAIT.
    Your fishin' blind without a boat or depth finder... fish around fallen trees,, the more the better and/or a creek mouth -something like that near the head of deepest hole you can find.... get you some heavy gear... don't fish with less then 25lb (and thats lite) walmart has Berkly rods on sale for 15 bucks... and a penn for 35 bucks, I'll tell ya now, It can be HARD to get into flatties from a bank in most places. theres a good thread,,, I think it's called "catfish questions and answers thread" or something like that... you should find that and read it.

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I appreciate the help, I really do. I am going to keep trying, and I have been looking into a boat with my dad. We are thinking about a pontoon boat, so we can 4 - 5 guys/gals fishing at the same time.:0a22: And have room for a livewell I have been building.:cool2:

About poles/reels to use, I have the Hawg Seeker by Zebco, it is a Heavy Rod, has that big open bail Reel, with 25 lb line. I am thinking of upgrading the line to "Spider Wire"... or something of similar equivalent. I would hate to set the hook on something big after chasing it for so long only to lose it in "battle".:crazy: I might do something drastic like jump in the water to try and get it by hand...:0a20:

I have "improved" my bait, so I thought until I heard I was wasting my money on the cut shad and shad chunks. I already been reading the posts about using casting nets to get shad and other fish for bait. I am considering buying one to get shad if I can without troubles.:confused2:

*Dr P* Have you ever used the Satellite maps that are available on the internet to view the "deep" spots located in White River?:wink:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no, I've used topo maps for lakes... (I don't like lakes much) when I go to the river, I use a depth finder as I scout around and deep spots without log jams is unappealing to me.
    The deep spot areas In a river can change. especially where I fish.
    When you bank fish a river hole like in the shallow section of the white that I fish, I don't fish where others fish day in and day out, the area gets fished out like a pond until a flood restocks it.
    up around and between dams in a river (like down town) works the same way and even worse with all the fishing pressure (jug fishing etc.) IMO
    You want flatheads you gotta go after them.
    In drought season like the last 5 weeks you've been back to fishing, especially in conditions like now... All the nearby easy access fishing holes in the river have been fished out.... sure theres a flattie still left here and there, but, if you want to get 'em from the river you gotta work alot harder to get to 'em... or wait for a big flood to bring 'em back into the easy access bank fishing spots.
    And I still doubt the bigger ones travel over top of a dam.

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I definately NEED a boat...

11. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    ill sell you my boat. 18ft tracker TV-18. big and spacious lots of room. 90hp merc on it.

12. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Uhm... I would ask how much, but honestly right now I am just in the look/contemplate situation. So, I wont even waste your time.

Thanks for the offer though:0a32:

13. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    no problem. im in no hurry to sell either just at least want it sold by mid march

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I tried using spider wire on 3 of my new rods & reels. It was green & almost like nylon. The trouble is I couldn't cast it out because while I was filling the reel it had interweaved in its own self. You might want to ask a professional for some advice before buying it.