Raccoon Lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Trahviiz, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'm headed there on the 22nd and wanted to see if anyone ever fishes there, where at, for what, and your results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Any takers? We've not had much luck except for a few small channels and cats.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey bud, try seaching the forums and google too, been a long time since I've been there I remember channels about everywhere I'd cast a bait tho.
    on a quick search heres a short thread I did find... not much but there's more stuff.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2724
    I bet river scum knows something:wink:

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Bill, I've been wearing Google out looking so much. I've also seen that post before, it seems he's doing better than myself. :smile2:

We always get into Channels with ease, the problem is that they are always really tiny. We've had a few rare fish with some weight on them, but very rare.

It says on their site that Channels are only second to Buffalo. I know there's some big ones in there somewhere.

5. willybojo

willybojo New Member

State:
    fishers, in
    where is raccon lake?

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
  7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you would have lost that bet pepper. lol i havent fished it before,but ill tell ya where i would start based on my map. this being spawn time i would head to the portland mills ramp(north end). the bridge is a good looking necked down area, aka travel area. they should be moving in and out of the creek if it has spawning habitat. sr 36 bridge would be another stop of mine this time of year for the same reason. cats will move up river/reservior in spring to find suitable spawning areas then redisperse throughout the reservior for the summer.

as for the small fish, you mite want to use small live gills instead. if there is an over population of runts they will get to your bait faster then the big boys. if you use baits that are too big for them to catch n eat you have a better chance at the toads. you mite consider a trot line or two also to rule out unproductive areas for the next nights search.

thats about all the help i can give you travis. hope you get into some big boys bro.!

good luck: tim

8. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I've fished the backside of the lake a few times. The Markland dam area has a creek streaming out the back that has some nice flatheads. We seen a few 20 lbs caught from there with bluegill and its not even very wide. Problem with this that a lot of people fish there so its tough to get the right spot. I've heard of people setting up on the Markland dam wall on the rocks and catching some nice flatheads off the shore there on the lake side. Suppose to be some nice cover in the rocks and what not I haven't fished it much. Its to far to drive with the gas prices.

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Paul, we go there once a year as a family event. The guys usually go out every night while the girls set back at camp. I'll try to get over to the damn and let you guys know how it works out.

10. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Big thanks to you too Tim. :big_smile_2:

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hey, your welcome bro. make sure you post pics of those monsters!

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'm headed out in about 2 hours and I'll be back on Monday. If I catch any of size I'll be sure to post it.

13. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    good luck catch a monster for us

14. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Well, the results are in, lol. Sadly to say, there were no BIG fish to speak of. The water was horribly flooded. Boat ramps were closed. Wouldn't even had been able to get under a bridge if you had one. Trees, shower houses, everything was under water. It was nearly impossible to pull in a line without brining in about 1lbs of grass, or loosing a rig. Apparently there were a lot of lower units lost throughout the month as well by way of submerged trees and picnic tables.

We did manage to pull in a few 5lbs cats and carp were everywhere so I managed to get a few of those as well. The DNR told us we weren't allowed to fish the dam because there were too many fights going on down there.

We're planning on going back sometime soon after the water has receded.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    too many fight? people fights? LOL... thats crazy:roll_eyes:

16. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, apparently there's been a ton of fights over boats and what not. Here's a few pics to give you an idea of the water level.

Attached Files:

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats wierd, i sure never herd of that one. i would have waited till they left and fished any way. lol