Raccoon hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Cheryl, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    There is a group of men that live near here and they hunt raccoons with dogs. Can anyone tell me more about this? What's the purpose?

Someone told me they get points for everyone they kill. The pet lover in me thinks they are smart critters and beautiful too. Now if they have rabies, that's another story. I know VA had a rash of raccoon last year, with rabies. Now a town about 30 miles from here in TN is having rabid cats and raccoons.
    Is this part of the reason behind hunting them?

I Don't Know.

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there are other reasons for hunting them too,
    for sport
    money for the hide
    prevent overpopulation

it is pretty fun to do

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Most people hunt them for fun. There are also competition hunts. I used to hunt years ago. I still have a coon dog, about 14 years old now, but we don't hunt. We just lay around getting fat and lazy.

I suppose the hides still have some value, but it's mostly just for the sport. You turn your dogs loose and when you hear them bawling, they are on the trail. When the bawl turns to a choppy bark, that means they have the coon up a tree. Then you go to them, shine your light around in the tree until you see the coon's eyes shining and then you shoot him out and the dogs chew on it a while and then you send them after another one.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Oh, and hunters don't always kill the coon. I don't think they kill them in the competition hunts. The points go to the first dog to strike the trail and the first dog to tree the coon.
    The good dogs are awarded titles like Grand Night Champion and such. They have world champion hunts too.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    When I was young(long time ago)people Coon hunted with dogs because they enjoyed it.Most of the people that I knew who Coon hunted,also Catfished.Most of the people that Catfished liked to Coon hunt.They are good to eat too.Cheryl,some of the finest squirrel,coon and bear dogs that the world has ever known,come from your area.Some familys in the area.have raised them for generations.I once aquired 3 from Bristol VA.Check out your area sales paper(Trading Post,I think).You should still find the dogs in there.If you think that you would like to try coonhunting,ask these dog owners.Also,these Mountain Fiest,Mountain Cur,and hounds make great pets and family dogs.They are known for thier loyalty and courage.They will gladly lay down thier life for you.A coon ain;t nothing but a bear,with all the excess baggage removed.They are even of the same family.They destroy crops.They will kill and eat your puppy,small dog or cat.I learned this as I traveled all hours of the day and night,to and from my job.I saw this in 4 different places.I saw 2 attack,kill and eat a Great Blue Herron on a sandbar.Never ever grab a 1/2 grown,swimming coon by the tail and sling it back in your fishing buddies lap.I don;t care what size boat you are in,IT AIN;T BIG ENOUGH!After the coon whips your buddy,your buddy is going to whip you.peewee-williams

6. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Don't think I'm adding anything new but, the biggest reason people hunt them is because there's simply nothing like hunting coons with nice pair of hounds.

The cold, the hounds bawling there heads off, running through the woods, 3 generations sharing stories...everything about it is fabulous.

Honestly my finest memories of childhood were two things: Catfishing with grandpa while he whistled "On the wings of a snow white dove", and coon hunting!

The points you heard about are during the coon 'tournaments', its a whole different game than coon 'hunting'. Not my cup of tea, the dogs are breed different, the game's played different, the spirit of the whole thing is different.

...and pee-wee's right, don't mess with any coon old enough to have its eyes open!!!!! They may look cute but pound-for-pound they're the nasties and cunningest things you ever saw. :p I've seen many of 20lbs sow drop from the top of a tree and give a 60lbs dog a decent fight.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for all the great info, guys! That helped to enlighten me. Rep for all, except Mark, I owe you.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If you like to read there's a book about a young boy and his coon dogs growing up in the Ozark mountains. I don't remember the author but it was called "Where The Red Fern Grows". I read it when I was in school, it is a very good book. It would help you understand the joys of coon hunting with a couple of bawling old coonhounds. Just a thought.

9. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Where the red ferns grow,good movie, GREAT book:)

10. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The last few year my friends and I have been in a nonstop war w/ coons. Coon hunting is a blast and you can make a few bucks doing it too. In my part of Neb the coons have got a bad case of distemper and mange, hunters and trappers need to thin them out a little to keep this from spreading.

11. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    We hunted coons for the hides years ago, but now it because we are trying to protect the turkey eggs they like to eat. We now have a health population of turkeys. It been about five years since we hunted them.

12. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Up here in IL. we have some good coon hunting. We do have a season, but most prople hunt year round becase the Game Wardents don't care as long as they don't catch ya.​