Raccoon fur still good?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, Mar 21, 2007.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was driving two nights ago and saw my first raccoon on the side of a road i trapped for muskrats. i thought, wow take him out, then i swerved to miss on my moped since id just set a trap next year for it. well yesterday morning, i saw that same coon dead on the road from being hit by a car. well, its been averaging 55 to 65 degrees and the fur still looked good. im not asking now, but the fur was still prime. if you were in my position since the coon wasnt stiff yet, would you have thrown the coon in the freezer and wait for next year to sell it? its been bugging me for a while!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Although It was still prime I think coons have started to be singed and rubbed by now with 'spring in the air' those coons got lovin on thier mind.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I agree... the fur would be rubbed thin in places and might even have a cut from the mishap... in any case, it could be skinned, cased and dried, then allow the buyer to make up his mind how much it's worth. Should bring a few bucks, anyway.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I doubt the fur would be worth much if anything now. But even if it were, picking up a road kill now is illegal in Iowa. The only time it is legal is when hunting or trapping season for coons is open. Also, even if you did have a legal coon left over from season, you want to check your laws because here in Illinois you can only possess fur for 30 days after the season ends. I know it used to be that way in Iowa too, but am not sure if it is now or not.

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah Tony. I agree with Angela.
    Let him be.
    He's probably rubbed and the fur will be stained.
    Not only that he'll be freezer burnt by next year. It just ain't worth it.
    best of luck
    just

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ya, just don't know. I am a telephone man, right. Well we have to locate our telephone cables for anyone excavating in the general area. We use orange paint to identify our cable. Well here in Louisiana the way we know how fresh a road kill is, is when we drive by one, we stop and put orange paint on the critter. When we come back the next day, anything without the orange paint on it is at least 24 hours old, so we pick it up for skinning. Our buzzards are skinny here. Yall know how buzzards circle a kill in other states, not in Louisiana. They look like Mississippi kites diving to the kill. They know if in they don’t get there fast, some body else will pick it up. LOL

I am just joking for the most part here. We really don’t stop and put orange paint on them. LOL.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    okay, okay, we only put the orange paint on them when we deer hunting. :big_smile:

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you should just leave it be. Its not worth the trouble if its rubbed or starting to shed in that warm weather and if its been dead very long the fur will slip anyway. Like has been said before it might be illegal to pick a road kill up out of season and if it is the fine will be a lot more then that pelt is worth if you're caught. Tony has a good way of telling if the fur is fresh even though he said he was joking.:wink: :wink: