Rabbit Recipe

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 7, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well now get ya a couple of rabbits soak them over night in fridge in salt water, Drain good put in 6 quart kettle of water and medium heat covered for 30-45 minutes, then throw them in hot skillet brown on both sides remove from skillet throw in preheated oven 300 degrees for as long as it takes you to make a batch of baking powder bisquits an some gravy from the rabbit drippings. Dam now I am hungry!!!! Bon appetitie:smile2:

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good post. I wish I still had some cottontails in the freezer but I am out and it will be a while before I can get some more. But when I do I will try your receipe.
    Bill

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i began this spring raising domestic rabbits for the table. ive not yet butchered any but the first litter is getting close to size. the books claim thier all white meat and nothing like a wild one. i cant wait. started with 3 breeders and now have 25. 10 are just a week and a day old. just starting to open eyes.

im also getting albinos in each litter. 3 first and 4 this time. im keeping a couple for breeders but the rest of them with the white fur and pink eyes are sure to be a hit for pets. this money will go to feed. the experts say if ya breed a pair of albinos you will get almost 100% albino litters cause both parents lack pigments. prob is all the first 12 that survived out of 15 were all does. hope one of these 4 is a buck but ill have to wait a couple weeks yet to sex them. if so i can have a mating pair and to take the offspring to sales to offset cost of feed. and there lops. (droopey ears) kids will be bawling for them, i hope.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well if there is white meat on those rabbits call me!! I never seen anything close to white meat on a rabbit!! Grayish color but I wouldnt call it white!!:big_smile:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in the books i have it says domesticated rabbits are all white. ive never had domesticated but soon. ill be posting recipies as well. now all the rabbits ive shot wild are dark meat but the books claim that domesticated are in fact nothing like a wild one. they are no more wild or gamy than a dairy cow.

the fine grain all white meat is lower in calories and higher in protien that chicken pork and beef. thus smaller portions of rabbit will fill you up quicker than chicken of equal portions. even said the navy experimented with it for this reason. ill know soon. the first culled rabbit litter are reacing 12 weeks and prime size.

maybe they consider the gray meat white. was this in domestics or wild? iowa hugh? you may not be so far from me. ill be selling them next year for $2.50lb.:wink:

the second litter is three weeks yesterday and ive re bread the does. new ones will be here again in 31 days. i wean at 5 weeks and give the does 2 weeks to rest between litters. and the new ones ive kept for stock will be ready in dec to breed.

6. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Whenever I hear someone talk about raising/killing rabbits, it reminds me of a story that my sister-in-law told me. Her Mom came down for a visit and they were heading to an outlet mall. On the way there they past a guy who sets up a stand on the side of the road. He has several cages full of rabbits. Her Mom noticed the sign he had: "Rabbits for $...., dressed for $.... She said that her Mom turned and looked at her and said "Oh, they put little outfits on them, I bet that's cute". :eek:oooh: She didn't have the heart to tell her, but she sure couldn't wait to get home and tell my brother.