Rabbit raisers thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ide posted early this season about some rabbits i had gotton to breed. well i started out with two satin does and one mini lop buck. well not the best of meat rabbits both both good eaters. i began breeding them just a few weeks after recieving. the first two litters i lost. nest boxes were to big. i did some reading and built some better boxes for thier size. second litter came with 15 and 12 are now 3 months old.

time has gone on and now ive really been studying up. the little ones known as mongrals are not growing quite as fast as a fryer should. they should be 4lbs around 8-9 weeks. they are big enough now to eat but i was gonna breed some in early dec at 6 months. ive since learned that feeding cleaned oats to youngsters allong with pellets they will gain faster. i now have a second litter that will be weaning in another week and they will kindle "birth" again two weeks after that. a good healthy doe can and should on adverade produce 6 litters of 6 each year. thats 36 per doe per year.

i attended my first show last sunday. i was hoping for rabbits of good quality for sale. i have been wanting californians. there ranked as the second best meat rabbit behind the new zealands. i lucked out as my wife happened to know a girl there and as we talked i was telling her about getting some good meat breeders and something of good quality that the boy could take and show. PUREBREADS. well she introduced me to a fella whow raised new zelands. i ended up getting a breeding pair 6 months old. the buck had just won best 6-8 of the breed. awesome. 6 months and show quality for $20 each. so now im waiting on the pedigree papers in the mail. the 2000 adveradge price for new zealand whites was $25 for jr's and $45 for sr's. thats good potential to off set feed costs by selling some offspring.

heck its kind of fun. im right now learning vetanary,lol.well i have 4 rabbits with snuffles, pheumonia. i tried terramycin "antibotic" powder in the water, with no luck so yesterday i began daily injections of pennicillin.

i havent seen anyone here yet that currently raises them. surly someone does.

the new zealands are 6 months and weigh 9.5 lbs. thats some meat,lol. i started with 3 and have only bought the two new zealands since and have 27 total now with litters on the way.

with my love of meat i have only tried domestic rabbit once many years ago. with domestics there nothing like a wild rabbit containing only white meat. according to the books that a successful rabbit raiser can butcher 5 rabbits two one chicken.

heres how they compare. USDA statistical breakdown

meat / protien / fat / callories per lb
    rabbit - 20.8 - 10.25 - 795
    chicken - 20.0 - 11.0 - 810
    veal - 18.8 - 14.0 - 910
    turkey (med fat) - 20.1 - 22.2 - 1190
    beef - 16.3 - 28.0 - 1440
    lamb (med fat) -15.7 - 27.7 - 1420
    pork (med fat) - 11.9 - 45.0 - 2050

rabbit is extremly low in calories and high in protien compaired to other meats.
    it also with fine grain and chewy textuer fills a person up faster with small portions.

by not chasing after them i need fewer calories,lol.

i also am into taxidermy and will be tanning the hides from my fryers. first in gonna try and make me an old timers suit. i mean full body hat caot pants and all out of fur. i think it would be awesome to squirrel or hunt with my muzzeloader for deer in a full rabbit fur suit. that will give me a taste of the past. then i will look into other sources of income with the fur. i also will be using some big ones (mostly dry bucks) to make jackalopes for sale. ive seen them on ebay selling for a few hundred dollars. with the tecnology today with the fake antlers available for these and the domestic rabbit ,game laws will not effect these. ive yet to mount a rabbit but have done a few of my own squirrels with great results.

well here are some pics of my rabbits. just show the kids, dont let em read the post,lol.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    few pics of the young ens

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint raisen em yet ,but we will be by next spring, My daughter shows bantams and decided she wants to add some rabbits as well ,I have to get a barn built first. and then go from there.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good luck. Illness, litter sizes, breeding, growth rates, parasites, flies, just the simple fun of choring depend on cages and how you set them up. Water, salt blocks and mineral blocks plus FORAGE are extremely important. You can raise those rabbits on very little purchased food product. Search, search the web. It is there. I have looked and found it. Good luck. The next best fur for a body suit is cat skin. People frown on you collecting cat hides though, so better stick with the rabbit.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya most of that is already being done. i have a mineral salt spool in each hutch (as a matter of fack they are visable hanging by the food bowls in the pic of moms and litters.) and wire floors keep droppings out of them. i get alfalfa cubes by the 50lb bags. the young ones are not supposed to eat any greens till 4 months because of diarea and it can kill em. i have found that the older ones should get greens and treats especally after birthing. the dry does and bucks can be fed mostly garden scraps till theres room in the freezor. im starting a preventive routine medicine treatments to prevent deieise. and fresh water daily. thats a must. im looking into building a single shed with auto watering valves.

a day a week the water gets treatments of terramycin that helps boost health litter size and size promotion. helps prevent diarrhea and once a month a weeklt treatment of sulfaquinoxaline-sodium solution that controls coccidiosis caused by a parisite and to prevent diarrhea.

i wish i would have known about this before i started cause i probably wouldnt have some with snuffles now. but the penicillin intramuscular injections should cure it. i havent lost one since they have got fur from my 2-3 litters as of yet. so im lucky. ive had 12 of 15 survive and 10 of 13. all died in the box whithin 2-3 days of birth. thats with the crossbreads. the new zealands should be even better. purebreads have a higher desiese resistance than crossbread mongrals.

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy,
    I used to raise them for food and sale and have been thinking about starting again. Nothing better than rabbit from the grill basted with favorite BBQ sauce.

I found that a membership in American Rabbit Breeders Assoc. was a good investment.

Ear scab was one of my biggest problems. I found that an eyedropper of Camphoneque (not sure it is spelt right) took care of it overnight. Winter is a tough time for new litters but I found that a nest box crammed tightly with straw allow the mother to burrow into the straw and build a warm nest that saved most of the litter.

Two enemies of the rabbit is heat and draft. I froze gallon jugs of water to put in their cages in extreme hot weather. Gourd vines are a great way to provide shade over the cages.

Another problem if using 1/4" hardware cloth for the bottom of the cage will be sore feet. 1/4x1/2 welded wire cured the problem.

When the does or bucks are past their potential I found that cooking them in a crock pot produced some very tasty & tender BBQ. Baking them is another good alternative.

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    My uncle raised rabbits when he lived in California. He sold Disneyland the manure to fertilize there rose bushes. He also raised red worms under there cages. The red worms sure did get big.

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had rabbits for about 10 years.on the ear mites if you give thema drop of ivemec in the mouth every mounth that will keep the ear mites off. I wish you lived closer I have a lot of equipment. I have some cages and auto feeders and waterers. Watch that pennicellin it will kill the flora out in there stomaches. watch feeding those scraps they are tot good for them it is not good for there system.feed store feed is the best.if you have any problems just shout at me I might be able to help you.just dont getin too deep they are hard to make a profit with.eat afried hind leg for me.thanks Sam Davis

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i had one start loosing a bit of hair around the ears. it was in with 3 other does. i scrubbed the cage with bleach and used a houshold flea killer in it and around it and put some miticide for cats on each of the does heads. the prob stopped and the hair is almost grown back. so im starting to figure some of these problem out. i use 1/2 " hardware cloth on the floors but often put in a resting plank so they get a brake from the wire.

i found pour on ivermectin at the feed store i get all my other oats and pellets from. for cattle. cost was $39.00 for a liter. ,lol and they had oral siringe type for 1500lb horses so thats why i used the mite killer for cats. ,lol. oh well it worked.

ya i plan on sticking to pellets for the most part. $10for 50 lbs and these are mostly for my consumption and a few friends are waiting to buy a few from me and ill prob sell a few at sales and shows but i have no plans on going past the 18 hutch capasity im at now.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh ya, and for the poop, i have a garden. wont be selling mine. ill have some monster maters for my salsa. already started a compost pile for it and table scraps and lawn clippings.:eek:oooh:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ive now butchered 9 and have two more to cull. expecting litters soon. ive now went from 3 (two does and a buck) to 10 breeder does and 4 breeder bucks as well as the 11 fryers. its starting to come full circle. it was just money going out at first but ive stuck with it and mow its paying back.

and yep. the meat is white and great eating. this is what domestic rabbit meat looks like. this pic comes from a seasoning website i get my seasonings from.

also been tanning the furs. i tanned 5 and the other four are in the freezor. im gonna make a suit for hunting from the white ones. they can be dyed.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeremy, come show our store butchers how to present meat in a case. That was really nice.

Your tough bucks and does- crockpot is fine but like a tough old buck squirrel or wild rabbit if you put it in a pressure cooker for 5-6 minutes they will "loosen up" and fry like young squirrel or rabbit. Won't know the difference. John.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i got a pressure cooker from my wifes grandmother. i plan on doing some in it till there falling apart and make spegatti marinara sauce too. its good with chicken so with rabbit it has to be great.

here is the new barn i built. still needs roofed and sided though. the tarp folds down to keep out drafts in the winter.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good lookin rabbits bro. my grandpa raised rabbits when i was a sprout. i think he had 300 some at one time. i still keep a few to this day. fond memories there thinking back.

things i remember
    -- the bites, wow did they ever bite, and it stung. take a chunk rite outa ya. lol not to mention the claws
    -- shoveling all that poop
    -- the foot thumpin
    -- the rats in the rabbit shed
    -- stray dogs sniffing around (good target practice)
    -- the sound and smell of the food can in the morning
    -- hanging them up on the line by thier back feet to butcher
    -- of corse the butchering(man my old boxer loved those guts!) i bet i skinned 1000 rabits by the time i was 10.i wish i had all those wooden transport crates today. rabbits are the best eating furry critter there is. enjoy the feasts to come brother.

ps thx for making me remeber those times again!

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you will take and flush you rabbit manure with dehydrated limestone and feed it to earth worms and then put worm manure on your garden it will double the speed of grouth and size of produce.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes i use it in the garden johnnie. i till it in in the fall as a mater of fact 3 days ago. lol

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i just sold 3 the other day (ready to fry) for $21.00. getting ready to do some breeding soon. yep. and i always grow a garden so the poop will come in handy. lol yep, the stomps. i hear em daily. so far so good. havent yet lost any after they popped from the nest boxes. so there staying healthy. witch reminds me its gonne be warm for a few days, need to give them some terrimycin in the water bottles for a few days before i go back to the freezing water pots.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok we had a discussion on my other rabbit thread about the meat. those of you that have raised rabbits in the past know this as well.

rabbit, domestic that is is white meat. here are some pics. one is smoked whole rabbit. one is grilled rabbit, grilled over apple wood coals and BBQed.

it has proved a chore to feed water daily many rabbits but ive been able to trade them and sell them already and i very much enjoy the meat. getting ready to breed a bunch of does thie week.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh my god stop that im getting hungary!!! lol

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    good lookin cages, somethin i've always wanted to do, but my brother in law gave me one, and my wife saw it, she won't eat it no more, said a buchered rabbit looked like a baby, before that she was lookin forward to it. that kinda ended my thoughts on it. but if you can do it successfully, its not as fun, but more reliable than huntin em. I sure like cottontail soup, and slowcooked and roasted.