Rabbit Hunting,

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by canepole, Nov 11, 2005.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    In the morning I am heading out and do some rabbit hunting,Tomorrow is the first day of the season here in Tennessee in my area,and I am hoping to do better then I did last year, The beagles did there job, But my shooting was off,
    My boy's {beagles} are ready and I have been looking forward to the big hunt all week.
    WISH ME LUCKI will need it hahahahahah

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tom good luck tommorow...Sure wish i could be there to watch those beagles of your's work :thumbsup:

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks for the support, I wish you could be here also, if I do good I will post, if not, well there will be another time......lol

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Good luck
    I think I've always enjoyed rabbit hunting the best.I dont have any dogs,except my left and right foot.It gives me the chance to get out in the winter and do a lot of walking,good exercise,and see things I normally wouldn't.
    Plus,dey is sum tastee critters!!
    But,boy,do they stink when you clean them.

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well it wasn't a good day of rabbit hunting, I turned the dogs loose and they got after a rabbit, the chase was on, then they went over a hill and kept on getting it, I yelled and yelled, But they wasn't listening to nothing the fat man said so after holloring for a couple hours and looking for them I gave up and threw in the towel,
    Put my 16 away and went and got my casting pole out and went fishing, never got a hit,,,, Now I'm fixen to get a shower and go to the movies,,,,

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds like that bunny had a big white tail on him Canepole, been there done that LOL. :cursing:

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I don't know if they got after a deer, but they wouldn't listen to a thing I was saying, I made the mistake of just letting them loose and run by there self all year and sit on the porch and listen to them. they would run rabbits all over the yard and latly they have started taking little trips. and boundrys don't mean nothing to a rabbit dog, and I don't know how my new neighbor would act with me walking cross his property so I just let them run, next time I'm just letting one loose,...............

8. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Better luck next time. I hope to start my rabbit hunting anytime now. I wish I could get me some rabbit dogs. Might increase my odds. I haven't had much luck all in a while.

9. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I'm looking at maybe going out and trying to scare up a rabbit or two just because I'd like to see what they taste like. I've heard they're some tasty critters. I've also heard that they aren't safe to eat until some point in the year, I think it's after the first hard freeze. Is that correct? I don't want to make myself sick.

I don't have any beagles to take out. All I've got is a little mutt lab/aussie shepherd mix to maybe run around and scare them up so I can get a shot off (if she stays out of the way of course). Otherwise I think it might be pretty hopeless to get any number of them. Even with a dog it's probably fairly hopeless because she isn't trained for it.

10. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey mathersm anytime u want to go rabbit hunting let me know and well go.I live in bloomingburg and have alot of places to hunt.

11. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Yeah you dont want to mess with eating rabbits until after that good freeze. The same goes with squirrels. That first good freeze helps get rid of the worms. Rabbits are one of the tastiest animals there are. Course I am very partial to wild game as I love the extra flavor it presents.

12. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Bloomingburg is just north of courthouse right? If so I'd definately like to get a chance to head that way and join you.

13. butlersbeagles

State:
    Ohio
    yes you are correct.I have 4 beagles and lots of places to rabbit hunt.Just let me know and will hook up.

14. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Do you hunt the deer creek public hunting much? I have heard there is a very good rabbit population there.

15. butlersbeagles

State:
    Ohio
    i hunt alot on private land with my dogs.to many idiots on state lands that shoot dogs

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to love rabbit hunting with my beagals..I dont enjoy rabbit hunting without dogs...The excitement of the chase is something I will never forget!

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I drive right thru deercreek wildlife area on my way to work everyday..In years past the area was hit hard..I have not seen many people hunting there this year.

18. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Have you tried the rabbits any more?

19. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I looooove to knock down the bunnies. Loooove to eat em too.

Good recipe:

Take your rabbit and cut it into small pieces (leave the bone in)

Soak it in milk with 3 or 4 cloves of crushed garlic and 2tsp of pepper for 20-30 minutes. The milk cuts the gaminess out.

Take it out and give each piece a good shake, then dip in flour with pepper and salt in it, then egg, then fry till it is brown on both sides.

Plop em into a 13x9 pan with sweet tater wedges and regular tater wedges and a splash of olive oil.

Cover and bake 45 minutes at 350.

You will not regret it.

My grandfather used to process 8000 rabbits a week for delis and restaurants across the state. I have a lot of rabbit recipes. If y'all want more just ask and Ill put up a rabbit thread in the recipe section and start filling it.

GOOD LUCK THIS BUNNY SEASON

-sal

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    So Sal, are we gonna see this in the recipe section? Huh? Soon? Sounds good!!