Rabbit Hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by backwoods, Mar 9, 2006.

1. backwoods

backwoods New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Anybody on here rabbit hunt with beagles

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use to run beagles for rabbit. thats alot of fun and walking too. i didnt do any this year but my dad done alot of it. him and another buddy was getting 5-10 rabbits atrip. i got catfish fever too early this year and stayed on the lake. i use to get out of school early my senior year of high school and call the school and get my buddy out of school to go rabbit hunting. he had a great spot to hunt. we could jump them faster than the dogs could run them. we had had some good dog back in those days. got to messing with deer dogs and gave the rabbit dogs away to a good home. bad bad bad mistake. have you got alot of rabbit in miss.?

3. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    Just bought my first beagle this fall and have hunted here just about everyweekend since. I have hunted over my buddies beagles for the last six years and knew I needed one. She is a beautiful bluetick and I am looking to double my pack so if anyone knows where I can get me a nice Branko Bluetick pup please tell. There is nothing better than hearing a beagle open up and bring back a bunny.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

Amen to that.

My buddy has 3 beagles and theyre perfectly matched. All 3 light up when one's on a trail, the youngest and oldest stay right on the rabbit, while the middle one comes to find us. I love it.

He's won every tourney he entered this year, got a new bow, a year emmbership to a 3-d course, a treestand, a binelli 12 ga, a couple dozen food gift certs.... He's a good guy to be near when tourneys roll around. LOL

5. backwoods

backwoods New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    There several rabbits in Ms . We hunt mainly swamp rabbits. Alot of coyotas get the rabbits also.

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    There are not many things that are better to listen to than a pack of dogs on the trail of a rabbit. I used to love to just stand and listen to them run. Natures Music.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yea i here ya lngbo "natures music". i heard some say they couldnt hear nothing but them dam dogs barking.....lol. music to one but dogs barking to another. i never could get into the field trial thing. good music i just like to hear music on the move!!!.

backwoods we got swamp rabbits here too in some wet areas. they dont seem to run like the old cottontails do. they dont want to leave the swampy area too much but then some are traveling salemen i think.

i tell yal alittle story about a dog my dad bought from a neigbor. use to here these dogs running the piss out of rabbits at night in front of dads house, so went and bought the two dogs. both males but that one was the meanst beagle i ever saw. turn the dogs loose and first thing he wanted to fight. so my dad said im going to kill that dog. isaid dont do that hes a good dog. so three days later he call me. he pulled them two eye teeth with a pair of pillars. dad said he might fight but he wont cut nothing anymore. called the old dog"toothless" from then on. wound up running him on deer. that dang dog could grow a deer. had real cold noise and knew how to use it. lost his mate to a heat stroke one day and he died of a heart attack a year later. raised a few pups off toothless. i had one that would only run a buck. never seen that before, but he was just as mean as his daddy. okay you rabbit hunters dont like deer.....lol.

8. backwoods

backwoods New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Catfishrus most of the swamp rabbits around think you are running a deer.

9. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    if anyone in the kentucky area is looking for a good 3 year old female beagle let me know i hafta reduce the kennel size here and get rid of some hounds ive got too many to feed all summer this is a great little hound and make someone very happy she is a 15" female hunts and runs strong

10. barrenriver katman

barrenriver katman New Member

State:
    ky
    enjoy ever time i go won't be long for rabbit season can't wait

11. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Have my own pack and would rather rabbit hunt/run that any other hunting!!!! Wouldn't trade my pack for anything!! Anyone ever down this way and want to try your luck with these swampers let me know!! Always enjoy showing folks the sport of beagling!:wink:

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I know thats right we used to have the dogs run them clear out of hearing before turning:cool2:

13. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
  14. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i hunt rabbits with beagles not mine but i run them would rather hunt rabbits with them then without them

15. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Used to run Jack Russels with my redtail hawks after rabbits. Got out of it for a while.now I'm looking for a couple of good rabbit hounds..also how do you train a beagle to hunt rabbits..my JR's were just naturals?

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Nope,I use a an old mossburg 500:smile2:

17. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I rabbit hunt often with my three beagles. I really enjoy just watching the dogs run, even if I don't carry a gun. Referring to bigcatman's question, yeah, some beagles are born with the hunting instinct, but it seems that to train most, one needs to take the dogs as pups along with the older beagles so that the pup can follow them and figure it out that way. That's the method I've always used, but unfortunately, some dogs don't take too it very well, especially at a young age. Another alternative is to have them pen-trained. This can be expensive, but the dogs will experience an abundant scent of rabbit and may start running rabbits faster than expected.

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i dont use a beagle but sometimes ill walk out in my grandpas grove with the 410 or the .22 and see if i can knock a couple. good eatin though!

19. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    We hunt rabbits every weekend up here, with the exception of this winter...made it out three times. We use an English Cocker Spaniel and a Chocolate Lab with unpredictable results. This winter was entirely too cold for man or dog..every weekend -35 to -54 C. Dogs hated it and so did we. Not a lot of snow this winter...Did get a deer ( spike buck) and a Moose 3 year old bull. Nice and tender. We are looking for a good rabbit houind so if anyone knows of a breeder or trainer , let me know.
    Thanks

20. headhunter1

headhunter1 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i am from west virginia i have three beagles and i love to rabbit hunt i killed about 50 rabbits last yearthought i would drop a line headhunter1