R&R for nesting flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by drpepper, Jun 15, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    1st off, Think theres harm in it to the flattie? I always sit around and wait til the spawn is over. Anybody ever try to R&R nesting flatties?

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    If they are going to bite and take your bait... They are probably done spawning.. Unless you are putting the bait right on the nest.

JMO...
    Take care~

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well, not feeding during spawn is what I already know.... What I was wondering is if anyone had any experience at provoking an attack with a baited R&R. And/or thoughts on a cpr during this time would harm their nesting.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I personally don,t see the harm if your gonna release them.I don,t feel every fish in the system is gonna be spawning at the exact same time.There,s only so much tail to go around.I do move around more when I feel like they,re spawning.I fish a few really heavy current areas when they,re SUPPOSED to be spawning.When I,m using 6 to 8 oz,s of lead to hold the bottom,I don,t think there,s any way those fish are up there doing anything but feeding.I rig heavy and try to keep the fight short but sweet.IMO-If you didn,t want to catch a fish that was either looking for a nest or on a nest,you,d have to take two months off.I,m chomping at the bit because I,ve had to take two weeks off due to illness.I aint ready for no two month layoff.:wink:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

If you know there is one on the nest,or where a potential spot is stick a helligrimite( ( larva that swims/crawls under rocks in creeks, with pinchers for grabbing)however you spell it.:smile2: You put one on a #3-4 black gama. and flip it out in front of that nest,,I gaurantee it will not stay no longer than 2 minutes before it gets sucked down.

Them things a pull a fish off a nest in a heartbeat.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the thing is you never can tell wen their spawning, i cant,you can guess also they dont all spawn at the same time

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great point. Somewhere I read a study of the effect on catching smallmouth bass during a spawn, and the effect it had on the success of the fry. I know theres a difference,(lol) but the study varied the length of the fight, distance from nest it was released, and a bunch of other variations to study how long or even if the bass would return to it's nest and get back into the normal routine of protecting it, (They Always did.) and how much was lost to predation. long story short, there was next to NO loss when the fight was kept short and the fish was released within casting distance of it's nesting site. The worst the stress of the fight, and the greater distance from its nest the study found, it took longer for the fish to regain its senses and return to normal nesting behavior, resulting in the most lost lost to predation. In the the studys worst case, (stressful fight and longer distance from it nest from where it was release) they figured a 30% loss- as I remember it.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    During the spawn, the males don't feed because they are the ones protecting the egg spawn.

Females still eat!:cool2:

Catching the females will have nothing to do with ruining the spawn. Noodling the males off the beds is way more detrimental.:angry:

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you dont think the male guardians wont bite. Find a rock shoal where they are known to nest and run a rattle trap crawdad crankbait across the bottom. They hit them out of aggression I guess because I've seen dozens caught this way...

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    And that is the best channel cat fishin' you can get! Float leach along those rocks. So now that we have gotten every possible answer from not biting to biting and then from you shouldn't catch them to great fishin', you can now take your pick of the one you want to believe, but I would go with Kenny's (Flamekeeper) and Mark's (psychomekanik) answers. :wink:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont fish the spawn much at all anyway...But I do believe if you pull a male off the nest the fry will die.

Also, what if you catch a big egg full female right before she was going to lay those eggs, will the stress cause her not to lay????

I think it's a good idea to leave them alone for a few weeks when you know the spawn is on.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I seriously doubt that fishing for them during the spawn will be harmful to them and in all likelihood not be a very successful trip that's for sure. It's gonna be hard to get a bait close enough to them to provoke a strike from one that's not hungry. That and finding enough of them to make it worth while probably isn't going to happen either. I don't think it'll have any effect on the spawn just b/c you won't catch enough to matter.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I will call the PA game commission and ask them their thoughts on fishing for them during spawn they give pretty good info sometimes they aren't the enemy all the time:smile2:

14. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught my PB tonight, and I know the spawn is in full force in my area. I had a cheap scale from Walmart and it hit 52.8 before the hook broke off. I did not try to move it anywhere else to weigh it, just released it there after taking quick measurements. I don't think a quick trip to the surface and release hurts the fish, I was fishing wood cover and the males guarding eggs are not feeding there, the females that are feeding are not spawning at that time. What can hurt the population is not promptly releasing fish like that, not bothering them for 5 minutes before they head back to their lair. I eat a lot of fish, but I release anything over 15lbs. I am not trying to press my opinion on anyone else, just my beliefs. What I do know is if the water is above 50 degrees there is a chance to catch the big flat in my opinion and you will never catch it if you are not on the water trying.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

NICE Flattie Heath!CONGRATULATIONS!:big_smile:Glad you stuck to your cinvictions and went out!

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Game Commission aint gonna tell you squat about fish. You would want to call the FISH Commission for that:wink:.

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    PUT A BULLHEAD IN SPAWING GROUNDS AND THE FIGHT IS ON.HERE IN TX BULLHEADS ARE THE A BIG DANGER TO THE NEST OF BIG BLUES AND FLATS SO IF YOU GET ONE AROUND THEM THEY WILL TEAR IT UP NO MATTER IF THEIR HUNGY OR NOT.

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    PA Fish and Boat commission who I spoke to many times,have alot of info on flatheads and like I said they aren't the enemy all the time sometimes they are useful

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Agree! I,ve had some waterway conservation officers turn me on to some pretty decent spots.They,re out there 24-7.They see a lot of what,s getting caught and where.Most of them are some really nice guys if you take the time to get and know them.Few old cranky sticklers,but I,d give 90% of them a thumbs up.:wink:

20. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Robbing the Nest thats like someone taking your child from you.... Kiddnapping and it is Wrong if you ask me...... Just a mississippi country boy talking.......