R.C. Longmire Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harley5247, Jul 5, 2008.

1. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Going to Longmire next weekend anyone fish this lake

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Longmier is one of those special places that sometimes I want to keep to myself. It is one of the Pauls Valley water sources.

I love this little lake because it is a fishing lake... The brush and trees were never removed to make boat lanes. There's lots and lots of timber performing a very valuable task... growing extra-large sized channelcat, bass and crappie.

NO JERKBIKES ALLOWED! :big_smile: No juglines or trotlines allowed. Rod and reel fishing only.

Longmier Lake is managed as a trophy bass and crappie lake with very restrictive limits. Add to that a healthy population of nice sized channelcat and the perfect channelcat lake is born.

I've heard stories about blues being caught, but in the five years that I have fished it, I never found a blue... just lots of channels and a few flathead.

The lake has a live-in game warden to assure that the regulations are followed to the letter. He also insures that every fishing experience is protected from rowdies and trash.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the absolute best fishing lake I've been on, I give Longmier a 9.5.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Now you have my attention.

Is there camping there? Is the lake closed at night?

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There are more regs than I have time to type, so point your browser to: http://www.paulsvalley.com/test/lakes.html for the entire word as printed. :big_smile:

5. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks Albert. What bait would be best for the channels? I was thinking caltalpa worms or punch bait. Is there shad in the lake?

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sure, there's shad in the lake... but did I mention the standing timber? If you intend to cast your net, use a small one. A normal sized or large net will be torn up in short order.

Use your best punch or dip bait under a slip cork. Fish it 18" to 2 feet deep lobbed in right next to the stumps. If it remains undisturbed for 10 minutes, move on.

Chumming works well at Longmier if you chum in average of 5 feet of water in amongst the trees.

You'll need to remember to take pictures while you're there. The beauty of the place will take your breath.

7. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey Albert, do you use dog food for chum at longmire?
    Jesse W.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    NEVER! Rotting meat does strange things to drinking water. I do, however use soured mixed grains from the big blue drum on the back porch. If I'm out of the soured grain, I use hog or rabbit pellets or high protein creep feed. :big_smile:

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Albert, you sure got me wishin I was fishin at Longmire Lake! It sounds like a fun place to go. Is there good bank access for those of us who don't own a hole in the water?

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Bank access is severely limited to the area near the boat ramps, the floating docks and the dam. There is a very nice, but small dock near the ranger's house on a point that is known for it's crappie production.

It would be prudent to call the ranger to verify access... things may have changed in two years...:smile2:

11. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Sounds like it is time to start bending the ear of one of my wave-riding buddies. It's time he went out and caught a few anyway. He dragged the boat to Broken Bow this weekend to camp and ski. TO SKI!!!:crazy::crazy:

12. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma

be carefull out in that lake skeeter. there are some hidden stumps below the suface of the water. I about ripped my motor off on one last time I was on Longmire.:eek:oooh:

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Boy that could really spoil a day :crazy:

14. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    A bunch of us got together and fished Longmire yesterday. I found a few of those stumps Albert was referring to......going to the prop-shop tomorrow. :smile2:

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sorry, fellas... I forgot to caution you about running the gas engine in the trees...

I always use my trolling motor when I'm in the trees... a lower unit costs bunches... a lower unit rebuild for my 150 'Rude costs $2,500.00 and the stainless steel prop runs another $600.

You failed to mention how well y'all did this weekend... any limits? any big fish? C'mon... we're waiting with bated breath...:wink:

16. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey albert. Ive been wanting to ask you but keep forgetting, what does tkishkape mean? sorry to pry, but my curiosity got the better of me. thanks, Jesse W.

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    t'Kish Kape is my Cherokee name, given me in traditional style by my grand-uncle after my first successful buck hunting trip... "t'Kish" is a buck whitetail deer... "Kape" is the act of killing or harvesting.

18. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, a lot fish were caught but nothing of any size....6lbs was the big fish. 14 lbs was the winning stringer of 7 fish. All the fish were caught on Cj's punch bait or dip bait and 6 feet of water was the magic depth. We were kinda wondering if they had recently stocked the lake as 10 to 12 inch channels were just wearing us out.

19. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    Now thats a cool name!