qwestions for the masters of flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 15, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    , currect me on my mistakes that keeps me from only geeting a few big flatheads a year , vs you masters getting 5 a night. so heres my methed we rig up with a 3 way rig 2 4 ounce weights king kaels tight line one clicker on other , target structur , no boat we dont move we set up and weight reel in bait every hour,cast 30 to ten feet out and weight for poll to bend over all the way then set it hard , the problem is im wanting more bites we get a couple in an eight hour perid,should i try differnt locations all the time or stikk to were i caught our 40 pounders last year, its taking a chance if i go to uknown locations, ,please point out any mistakes above, that might be decreasing my chances of bigger cats

2. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Setting in one spot tightlineing from the bank , getting 2 or 3 Flatheads in 8 hrs. don't sound to bad to me .

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Sounds like you got a pretty good spot to me. There are nights I never see a flathead in 8 hrs. while fishing from the bank.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds to me like you got a good spot. I have sat in the same spot for over 48 hours and never got a single bite. I've also fished for 1 month and never caught a single flathead. So you see.....some action is better than no action. It is always good to have more than 1 or 2 spots though.:wink:

5. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you have a good spot. Two or three bites a night from one bank spot is not bad at all. Not all flatheads hang around in one spot on a river or lake.Your spot may only hold 2 or 3 fish. Some areas that hold more fish are tailraces,and very larges holes that contain good cover.You may want to find a couple other spots and alternate use. Another time to get more fish out of certain spots is during high water on a river.Flatties seem to pack into good slack water areas.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    taking chances on new locations is how we get so good brotha. lol i do fish closer to the bank at night than you do though. stick to going on high percentage times also, if you can stand to wait. after a good soaking rain is my all time favorite time! second would be daytime in holes filled with wood using fresh cut bait.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I would just split it up some. Go scouting for some new spots. Then hit 1 of them and if there is nothing go back to the old reliable spot. Don't give up on new spots until you've hit them at least 3 times at different times of the night or day.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    1god 2 family 3 fishin 4 no work lol

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you're on a small river and want lots of bites, you'd better be ready to move a lot and drop the bait close to the fish. Getting solid runs on big bait is not the norm for me, either. Catching many flats in a night seems to be part seasonal and part being on really big water.

10. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WELL I NEVER DID USE THE THREE WAY FOR BANK FISHING, SEEMS TO ME THAT IS FOR OUT OF A BOAT FISHING AT AN INCLINE, THEN AGAIN NEVER USED ONE BEFORE

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still strike out on em. Some nights I do good get 2 to 4 real nice flats on the Mo river somtimes 0. I move around somtimes explore new spots thats how I found a spot that produces good blues and flats @ the same time. I experiment some to with rigs, depth and cover. Like why would a 50lb flatt be in in 16 inches of moven water water on a massive sand flat 200 yards from cover? I think we will never get em down somtimes but that makes em funn to fish for.:wink:

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :0a26: I cannot add a thing to what the guys have told you already.GOOD LUCK.:smile2:

13. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    It does sound like you got a great spot for fishing from the bank, if I had a spot like that I wouldn't be throwing all my money into my second bank account (my boat). However when I'm keying in on Flatheads I look for a couple things that will tell me that there is high probability of flats being in an area for rivers. I look for creek mouths which typically form sand bars/flats on the Cape Fear, you have fresh water coming in which is where the bait tends to go to at night, I also look for heavy cover within 50 to 75 yards of the mouth of the creek, and the sand bar/flats. I'm not an expert but I believe that the majority of the day the big flats will lay up in the heavy cover ie: log jams, log lines, etc. and when it gets dark they go to where the bait is to ambush them which will be in the shallows near the mouth of the creek, and on the edge of the sandbars close to the creek. All of the big flatties I've caught have come from these types of areas. My 3 key things are, heavy cover, shallows w/sand bar/flats, and fresh running water. If you find all three in a real close area to each other, you can't go wrong.

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think i read this in any other posts but trying changing your bait or moving it a little more frequently than every hour. Also try different types of bait. I used to use only live bait and switched to cut bait a year ago. Cut bait has provided more bites...at least for me. And i only leave it out about 20 min then change to fresher bait.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    heres a weird deal i was talking to some guys who get all there flats from the middle of the lake, not the bank, does that make sence its straght off a boat dock from a powerplant discharge,ive always casted ten to 30 yards off the bank in a lake, but on a river its closer about ten foot, but i dont have a boat so river accses is only around tailraces , im tring to learn to get them spillway lazy cats,but u cant tell if there on, only caught one by the wall, but there huge i wish i knew the trick to get them holding flats ive heard about bouncing your bait til its infront of them, i gues wen i do that il will shorten my leader 6 inches sice the lay on the bottem

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Find a shallowish flat spot that offers feeding access to a couple different holes upstream and downstream that will allow you more fish than hitting just a deep hole.