Quonset arch steel buildings

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ShilohRed, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Anyone have a arch steel building? We are looking at putting up a 40 wide 30ft deep S model that has the straight sides and is 16ft in he center.
    For boat and RV storage.
    Wondering if anyone had one? Or helped or for that matter knows someone that has one and can get an ideal about how good they are?
    I have been talking to different company's and each one tells you what is bad about so and so. This one is better that one uses lighter material and bolts and stuff like that.
    So any help would be great .
    Also plan on just digging and pouring footings not a whole slab.

Pete

2. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pete

I have never built a quonset or arch steel building. One small piece of advice I can give you though is BE CAREFUL!!!! who you buy your building from. Most of the ads you hear on the radio and read in newspapers and magazines are from brokers trying to sell buildings. These people are not contractors they are salespeople out to make an easy dollar. I am an estimator for a General Contractor in North Carolina. I have talked to people who have ordered these buildings and never seen their building and lost large deposits. You should NEVER have to pay any money until your building is delivered. We sell and erect pre-engineered or "metal buildings". One thing you have to do no matter what type building you put up is to have the foundation designed by a structural engineer. It doesn't take much to hold these buildings up, it actually takes more to hold the building down due to wind uplift. If your foundation is not designed right your building could end up in the county. Feel free to pm me if you want to ask any more questions and I will be glad to send you my phone number if you like. Just remember, IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS.

Good Luck
    Tony

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    We use metal buildings for our boiler rooms, We have not had any type of problems with them, we use a pitched roof not a curved one and they are on slabs. They have stood up to everything so far. The largest one has three roll up doors and two walk through doors. I know a farmer that has two building with pitched roofs. One has been standing for over 30 years and is on a slab with one rollup and one walk through doors.

All these building are built with metal beams and screwed on top and sides.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I always wanted one until I showed up to wire a metal building and it was a half circle.
    I invented cuss words bending pipe to fit the arches.
    Pete, I could see where they would be cheaper. Less steel, less parts.
    The fella who owned the one I wired put it together himself.
    He said it was not as easy as it appeared and equipment would make a difference.
    I tractor with forks or a front end loader and maybe some type of homemade fixture for an extra set of hands.
    I bet you got the equipment though.:big_smile:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks guys.
    AS for the footing I plan on pouring it 2 ft deep and it will be sitting in compacted sand. Sure going to over build that part.

And yes I have heard of the stories that is out there that sells a lot of the buildings. And have talked to some of the places that are there only to sell. The buildings come from Canada or some where.
    The place that I'm talking to about the building is in Boone NC and there the factory. Or that is what I have been told by someone that I have talked with. And they took a tour of the factory.

And as far as equipment to put it up.
    I have a loader on my tractor then my father in law also has a loader. Then I have a small track hoe. So with them and a boom I can stand the things up. Also have a buddy that has a work platform for the loader. so we will not have to use scaffolding to stand and move around on.

Pete

6. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pete

I'm pretty sure I know a gentleman that used to work for that company in Boone. I will be seeing him tomorrow at our office. I will ask him about the buildings and pass along any info he may have.

Tony

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks that will help.
    PEte

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a 30X40 pole barn. The floor is 6" thick on one side (Car side) and 4" on the other with fiber in the concrete with rebar. Outside panels are steel. I love it! I put a furnace in it for winter. (I have insulated it). Great place for fish fries in the winter.
    Bill

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks but not the same building . Here is what I'm talking about.
    40ft wide 30ft deep and 16ft tall in the middle the sides are 7ft then start getting higher as you go toward the middle.
    Will have 2 boats and a Camper in it.

http://www.usbuildingsdirect.com/gallery/pictures/Pic_20_1.jpg
    Pete