Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ryang, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No not the BOC Ive been 2 days without Cigs and seriously trying to quit this time. Im on Welbutrin (which so far I havent felt anything from that), but Im asking for your prayers on this as its been about 20 some odd years of that nasty stuff. I would have put this in prayers but I figured if more people see that more people are quitting that more people would want to quit :smile2: .

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thursday will be 4 years for me. Was not a problem for me to stop. But then the heart doctor told me, After fixing one 99% blockage that should have killed me. That If I would like to be around to see my wife and fish. That I had better drop them/
    So good luck and hope you never touch one again.
    Pete

3. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i have been smoking for 8 years and just cant seem to quit although i want to i guess im just to weak i know i need to before its too late

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations Gary! You can do this!!!! If the Welbutrin does not work ask for the new Chantix pills. Its awesome!
    DaveL, Catfishjohn, and I all used the Chantix to quit close to the same time.

Quitting a few months ago is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. There is seldom a day that goes by that I don't stop and think about how thankful I am for not being under the addiction of cigarettes.

Its tough at first to say "No, I am not giving in to this craving for a cigarette." but if you will do that a few times it will get easier if you truly want to quit.

I am sure I can speak for many on here that we are all behind you 1000%.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. If you need someone to talk to or yell at or whatever to get through feel free to send me a PM.

You can do it!!!!!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good luck Gary!:smile2: You can do it!

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Barb I looked at Chantix but my Health Care Provider only covers about 10 buck of it :sad2: , leaving about 117 to me. Ill keep up with the Welbutrin, I have some cravings right now for one but Im at work and I would have to go down 26 floors and Im lazy :smile2: .

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck to you Gary! You can beat this thing! Its been about 2 and 1/2 months for me and still going strong! Barb and Dave L told me abt the Chantix and its great stuff!
    Like Barb said,you need anything,PM me!

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary, I quit about 10 yrs ago and still have an occasional craving... Now, if I could quit craving food...:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Religion gives me hives.

9. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I am proud of you, I know that if I had ever smoked I would still be a smoker.. I have no will power at all. Good Luck

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for all of the kind words, has anyone else tried Welbutrin? Im wondering when or what kind of effects it has. Ive read up on the Web about it but there is nothing that says how you will feel or if you will feel anything at all.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Best of luck Gary.

I quit cold turkey many years ago, it's not easy but not near as bad as dieting. :big_smile:

12. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im new here and a non smoker, but my father started smoking when he was about 10. All the non filtered stuff and was a chain smoker.
    He quit cold turkey 4 years ago and has not smoked anything from the day he quit.
    You dont know how proud he could do that and stick with it.
    Guys and ladies, you can do it, think about your health as well as your familys health.
    Good luck and stick with it.
    Rick

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have kicked it twice cold turkey. I currently take Welbutrin. It is a slow release medication made to treat depression and to quit smoking. I don't feel any differently but I get up earlier and go to bed later now. The 1st 30 days is the hardest but just get you sme butterscotch or peppermint. I went through several bags before the cravings toned down.

14. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I quit one year ago on January 15th. I started smoking in the military in 1978. I quit cold turkey but I used butterscotch drops to help with the cravings. Everybody was surprised when I quit especially my wife. I still miss them but there is no way I want to go thru the withdraws again. Just put your faith in God and you will win. If I did you can too!

Wooly

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm here to testafy, if Wooly can, you can. He was about the meanest, grouchiest ole cuss while he was quitin. But he made it through, and you can to. Keep up the good work. :big_smile:

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Good luck bro, you can do it. If I can quit drinking you can quit smoking, I think itll be 4 years come May. It was hard but well worth it.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good luck to you brother!!

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They put my brother-in-law on Welbutrin plus the patch. He said it helped a great deal!:big_smile:

19. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Well good luck to you Gary Its a hard thing to do but it can be done. I smoked for over 15 years and I just quit cold turkey but it was ruff so thoughts will be with you

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    GOOD LUCK BRO!!! hope u kick that habbit