quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by THE PAN MAN, Sep 30, 2009.

1. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    fellas and gals, i want to be done with these darn cigs. does anybody have a good way to quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:embarassed:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Cold turkey is the only way to do it man

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've tried so many times and failed. I smoke like a friggin' chimney.

I tried the nicotine gum but I couldn't keep it lit.

4. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    DT's and prayer!!! I will be praying myself in a few days... so i feel ya pain buddy!

5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    def gonna suck but im done with the damn things!!!! lets do it together!

6. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Isaiah,

I smoked and chewed for several years. I tried gum, patches, and cold turkey. In the end, the only thing that worked was cold turkey and the motivation to quit.

Another key to quitting smoking, for me atleast, was not going into bars, drinking, or generally hanging around people that smoke for about the first two weeks of cold turkey. That really sucked for me, because I was a bartender at the time. In fact, I quit smoking immediately after I quit bartending. After about a week or two, your real biological cravings will end, but your psychological cravings may not. But its mind over matter as they say, and if you really want to quit, you will. Good luck!:wink:

7. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    im really hopin i can. i have been tryn now for a few weeks. ive cut cown but thas not quittn. i want to be done, cig free. everybody i work with smokes and that makes it really hard. guess i need to just balls up and give it up

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i quit cold turkey back on march 15 when the prices went up i said thats it i aint paying that much i still dip a little but its not smoking good luck hope you make it. if you got the will power you can do it i smoked 2 1/2 packs a day

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Power to you Bro. Gut up and stick with it. Stay safe and my money is on you!!!:wink:

10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thanx larry. by golly im doin it!!!!!

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Same with me I didnt want to give the government any more money than I wanted to and quit cold turkey. I was probably about 1 pack a day for 20 years. I tried a couple of years ago using welbutrin and that lasted 4 months. If you are ready to quit then in my opinion you will not have any of the side effects (I didnt). I do want one every now and then but its not that strong of a feeling. The easiest thing about it is just not going to the store for a couple of packs of smokes.

12. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

My wife used Chantix, and it has been 3 years for her now.
    I did the cold turkey, the first year I broke in the first 3 months, I had 2 a day for the next year . :crazy:
    Still went cold turkey, and now I have made it 11 months:wink:
    Nov. 11 it will be one year, and now I am not looking back.

Doing it cold turkey will be very hard, but it can be done.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I actually thought Cold turkey was easier so far than using welbutrin

14. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Quitting is easy, I did it 6 or 7 times......:smile2:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Commitment, Determination and Prayer will work for you. Wishing you success.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Quitting was the easiest thing I ever did.
    Quitting hadn't crossed my mind until I was standing at the counter telling the man what brand of cigarettes I wanted.

I said, forget it , and walked out. Never smoked another one and won't smoke another one. I was a two pack a day smoker and sometimes more.

Being around smoking doesn't bother me. I can sit inbteen two smokers on a boat and not want a cigarette. I love the smell of a good cigarette burning but I don't want one.

Quitting is a mind thing. The physical addiction to nicotine is minute. You can be over that in a week or so. It's the hand to mouth addiction that is tough.
    When you get your mind right and decide that you not only want to quit but are going to quit, it's a piece of cake.

My wife never quit smoking and they killed her grave yard dead without a doubt. As far as I know she never wanted nor tried to quit.
    Carrying an o2 bottle around and 3 or puffers while still smoking is true dedication to the weed and insanity.

Live with somone dying from emphazema. You'll quit or I'll question your sanity.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  17. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thanx mark. hearn that makes me want it even more. piss on cigs.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I didnt think that was too hard either at least so far. I think that when your ready you will quit if you are just saying your going to quit then IMO you wont. No amount of people saying good going or you can do it or whatever will help IMO really it is up to you and to you only.

19. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i qit once b4 for a year and a half.when i went through a divorce and lost what i was usedto everyday a picked the habit back up i determined to give them up. tired of the smell and the coughn every damn mornin. i was trimn some trees for an uncle who just recently passed away i was in the tractor bucket and the hydrolics failed on it and it sent me to the ground. the only thing he said was the cig i was smoken at the time that happened would kill me b4 that fall would. 3 days later he died from a brain tumor he says he got from smokn. that is what put it in my head to give up for good.

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was paying child support and barely getting by when i quit. i wanted a boat really bad and found one that i liked. i figured that if i gave up cigarettes that i could afford this boat. i'd smoked for 36yrs at 2 packs a day. i quit cold turkey and bought that boat. caught alot of fish outa that boat too. i been quit since 97. good luck.