Quit smoking with Chantix!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RamRod, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. RamRod

    RamRod New Member

    Messages:
    2,047
    State:
    Ohio
    I was wondering how many of you had smoked or is quitting smoking and any input on how Chantix may have worked out. Reason being, I just started taking Chantix on 6/1/08 to kick the nasty habit. Just curious how it may have worked or not worked for others. I sincerely hope this will be the last of my smoking habit. After all, I want to be able to see my grandkids. Thanks for any and all input. I'll keep you posted how it works for me in this thread.:wink:
     
  2. Mac-b

    Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    19,808
    State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Brother Johnny, I tried Chantix and had to come off of it, I was having horrible nightmares, not sleeping the way I should and some other stuff. But, it has worked for others and I wish you the best.

    In the last week or so, there have been FDA warnings about Chantix and maybe you might want to do a Google search and find this information.

    As for seeing your grandchildren, I'm seventy and see mine all the time.
     

  3. Catgirl

    Catgirl New Member

    Messages:
    13,546
    OLE Mr.Byrum (gees louise, now that I've called him that, prolly never be able to launch on Norman again :big_smile:).....just because YOU have, and your ancestors smoked, doesn't mean everybody can -and have the same results!

    Here I go again....contradicting myself. Say I don't go to the doctor (wonder why?) and fussin' at other people. IDK why, seems to be the thing to do at present :smile2:. BUT, it's been proven that cigarettes contribute to many types of cancer. Glad you're free of it at the moment. Don't you have ENOUGH for your hands to do with all that guiding service stuff? :smile2:

    Yes Johnny, I've read quite a few reports about Chantix. Read more GOOD things, just on HERE, about it. Guess everyone has to try things for themselves. I hope it works out for you bro.
     
  4. Mac-b

    Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    19,808
    State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Sweet thing, did you just take me out to the wood shed?

    Did I not wish him the best in his endeavors?

    True, I had a form of cancer and it was blamed on coffee drinking and smoking when I was dx. in 2001. Later studies showed that drinking coffee did not cause my kind of cancer. I gave up my five to six cups of java and kept the smokes.

    The lastest stat's for my kind of cancer showed that 27% of those with BC smoked and that the remaining 73% did not smoke. The lastest figures for people that smoke in the US is somewhere around 25% of the population and the remaining 75% do not smoke. Do you see a correlation between all this info., bottom line is, based on fairly currrent data is that their is no major difference between smokers and nonsmokers when it come to BC.

    Do I condone smoking, hell no. Would I smoke if I was a teenager today, same responce. Is it bad for your lungs, yes I believe it is. But, to blame all our ills on smoking is not quite on target. Did you know that prescription drugs kill more people than Cancer? I could go on, but will stop at this point.
     
  5. Catgirl

    Catgirl New Member

    Messages:
    13,546
    Well, thank you for settin' me straight Mr.Byrum. I imagine you would be the one to take me out there, and can teach me a thing or two about fishin' also :wink:.

    And Johnny, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread. But actually, seeing what Mac posted, maybe he should start one about prescription drugs. That's probably just as prevalent 'round here as smoking is, imo. Aren't we a SLICE of the American public? Or are catfisherpeople just smokers in general?

    You failed to mention Mac, that bladder cancer and lung cancer are only TWO of 'em. The cancers.....but then again, we can attribute that to other things also. Do I condone ME smoking? HELL NO. I'm DOIN' it though, and so are you sweet thing.

    Oh, and drinkin' coffee too.

    Also, I apologize to anyone who is offended by my typing tone when reading this. I know it's not how I usually am, sorry about that. Not sorry for the content though. Done with bein' sorry, and not sayin' what I think. Once it's too late, it is.
     
  6. oldprowler

    oldprowler New Member

    Messages:
    321
    State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Ramrod:
    I smoked for more than 50 years. I quit with the help of chantix. I did have some wierd dreams but none that were worth giving up achieving my main goal. I only took the chantix about 35-40 days and all desire to smoke was gone.
     
  7. Kat-tamer

    Kat-tamer New Member

    Messages:
    875
    State:
    Missouri
    I aint had the guts to try it yet. I am afraid to take it till I discuss some things with my doc.

    One of the warnings they are talking about is depression. Since that seems to run in my family without the help of drugs, I don't want to take any chances.

    I have to go to the doc soon anyway, so I will ask about it then.

    I do know alot of people who have stopped smoking with it though! And none have went back to it after.
     
  8. ryang

    ryang Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,380
    State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  9. JRicker

    JRicker New Member

    Messages:
    137
    State:
    Tenessee
    wasnt Chantix the stuff that had caused some people to commit cuicide a while back.
     
  10. catfishjohn

    catfishjohn New Member

    Messages:
    10,217
    State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of luck Johnny! I quit with it in less than a month. Unfortunately due to health reasons and nerves I started it back. I have 2 months supply of it that I plan on taking soon as I get straightened up some. The only thing that bothered me was it tore my stomach up even when I had ate.
    Best of Luck to you Bro!!!:wink::big_smile:......You CAN do it, I have Faith!!!:wink:
     
  11. RamRod

    RamRod New Member

    Messages:
    2,047
    State:
    Ohio
    You may be onto something there. They're both tiny "blue" pills! LOL!:smile2:
     
  12. Netmanjack

    Netmanjack New Member

    Messages:
    3,734
    State:
    Ohio
    Johnny, I started chantix in February. Took it for about eight weeks. I think it is the best thing going. I got a slight head ache about every night, but figured it was better than smoking. You don't have to stay on them forever ya know. Any one who commits suicide because of this pill, would do it with any drug. Their families need to blame it on anything but the way they cared for their dear son or daughter. It makes me wonder how many suicide notes they have found saying ( I'm killing my self because of this little blue pill, I just couldn't take it any more ) Don't let any one scare you. Chantix works. The key ingredient in this form of quiting is that you have to want to and chantix sure makes it a whole lot easer. :wink:
     
  13. GaryF

    GaryF New Member

    Messages:
    3,649
    State:
    O.P., KS
    My fishing buddy quit on Chantix last fall, he said it was pretty painless, he just lost the desire to smoke. Unfortunately he started up again a few months later when he fell back into some old habits - more a habit thing than an addiction thing he says. He did another round of Chantix, but it didn't seem to work the second time. The lesson in this is that it works great at giving you one good chance to quit, make the most of it because it may be a lot harder the second time.
     
  14. catfishrollo

    catfishrollo New Member

    Messages:
    6,894
    State:
    Ohio
    goodluck with the quitting johnny, that takes plenty of will power to kick an old habit. i know you can do it though:wink::big_smile: rollo
     
  15. RamRod

    RamRod New Member

    Messages:
    2,047
    State:
    Ohio
    So far so good on the quitting!:big_smile:
     
  16. germanmudfish

    germanmudfish New Member

    Messages:
    492
    State:
    Gray, GA
     
  17. Tyme2fish

    Tyme2fish New Member

    Messages:
    125
    State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I am "was" a pharmacist. As with any prescribed mediaction there will be side affects.

    That stated, I took Chantix and quit smoking after 40 years of puffing. I managed to stay quit even through the death of my Mother. I've found myself smoking cigars now and I will have to re-learn how to abstain from all tobaco porducts.
    Yes, I had some strange dreams but I considered those as a plus.

    Suicide?? Can a drug ever be the only cause for killing ones self?
    If so, die now or die later from tobacco.:eek:oooh: