Quiet as a church yesterday.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Crawdad, May 3, 2006.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I snuck out yesterday to bust one & didn't hear or see a thing all morning. I thought after all the rain the turks would be so excited to see the sun they'd gobble their head off. I know this farm has more turks than termites in an old farm house. It was slightly foggy up on the ridges where I was so i thought maybe they'd get up a few minutes late, but i didn't understand the quiet all day. I heard on out my door at 8am Monday, but Nothing Tuesday.
    Wolfie, what do you think?

2. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    They must have smelled you. No not really. That happens to me all the time---they'll gobble all day and not make a noise the next.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I used to deer hunt up at my brother in laws dads farm south of Kirksville. We were driving down the gravel road that cuts thru his farm and looked down in the Mussel Shoals River bottom where the soybeans were and there was over 14 bunches of turkeys down there eating what was left after the picking. I would guess that there was anywhere from 15-20 in each flock. I also heard that the Kirksville area is like Stuggart, Arkansas is for ducks.

Been one tom doing his thing here every morning and evening till last night and he was silent. May have opened his mouth one time to many and someone shut it...permanently. We'll see if he is doing his yodeling in the morning.

4. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Lots of times if they gobble early then go quiet, i'll lean back & doze for a while. The're pretty reqular at starting a second session around 10am.
    I'll try again Saturday. Get to take one of my grandsons out for his first time. Should be a blast.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    not sure what is going on in MO, but this season was realy quiet here. we only had one Gobbler all season really answer, and one other gobbled once then shut up. Really odd:crazy:

6. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree completely, not sure whats going on. I know the weather last played into part of it but I was on a farm where I KNOW there are more than a couple of Longbeards, and on Monday the only bird that sang was an ole Jake and he only gobbled 4 or 5 times. Tuesday was a little better but it was just a couple of groups here and there. Both mornings were absolutly perfect. Clear, Cool, and Calm. I was fortunate enough to get a bird on Opening morning, the only one I heard then as well. and was able to get one of the birds that sang on Tuesday so I am done shooting but I have several friends that I will be aiding once I get back home and I am just not sure whats going on. Need some luck, even heard of one guy spotting a hen with little ones. Seems awful early for that but then again its been a strange year already.

7. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I think you're right, Wolfie. Since the ones who gobble & come in get shot, Darwin would say we'll enivitably develop turkeys that don't gobble. I found the king of the Tenors Saturday tho. He gobbles at me for an hour. Moving completely around me in a circle. He obviously didn't have hens with him so breeding must be about over. He'd move in to 50 yards or so, then away to 100 yards, Then further around the circle. I kept moving around the tree. he finally started to come closer, but by that time, i had a sapling right in front of me & had to raise the front of my barrell to get past it. I also had my 12 year old grandson next to me on his first hunt. All I could see was the top of his tail feathers, but the gobbler somehow got a glimpse of one of us move, started put putting & wandered off. He was a monster turkey i think. I'll try for him again Tuesday morning.