Quick way to thaw shad and bait!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishrollo, Jan 22, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    During the warmer months, no problem thawing frozen shad, and most the time its fresh caught etc., not needing to be thawed. During the winter I have most baits frozen ready to go, I take the bags out of the deep freezer, throw them in a 5 gal. bucket. Then fill the bucket with hot water from the sink, put a 5 gal. lid on them.. Bags thaw on the way to the the river , or fishing spots usually. Then you can take them out of the bucket and leave them sit on deck if above freezing. Shad thaws seemingly fast, And whatever you do.. DON'T PUT ANY BAITS IN A MICROWAVE to thaw!!! LOL. Just a tip on how I get frozen baits ready to fish at a quick notice... rollo

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I like to drop mine into a mesh sack then drop the sack into the water. Even if the water is just above freezing the bait is below freezing. It will thaw, although sometimes very slowly!

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I usually forget to thaw them and have break a chunk off here and there till they thaw.:snowman:

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thats what I do year round if I dont have fresh ones lol. They will thaw in the water. Just got my Gill net liscense yesterday for $9 and Im ordering a Gill net today so I shouldnt have to worry about using frozen bait again until I move from Virginia

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    That reminds me of a story I heard years ago. A man and boy were fishing side by side on a dock on a cold day. The man watched as the boy was catching fish, one after another. Finally the man asked the boy "What are you doing to catch so many fish?" The boy mumbled something and the man couldn't understand him so he asked the boy to repeat himself, again the boy mumbled a few words. The man said "I am sorry, but could you say it 1 more time I didn't understand you?" The boy held his hand up to his mouth and spit something in his hand, then he said "You gotta keep your worms warm."

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas

Do I hear a Banjo in the back ground.LOL

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats what i do :winky:

9. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    good tips out there guys...i do the same kind of things but i dont use hot water when i thaw them just luke warm i have found that using hot water makes the shad a little limpy and not as tough i guess i mean they are flimsy and kinda hard to keep on the hook when casting...could just be my experience but the luke warm water thaws them and keeps a nice chill in them.

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I don't use frozen shad very often, but the few times I have taken them in the boat with me, I have put the bag into the livewell when running down the river. It thaws quick and is right there when you need it.....plus, it feeds fish in the livewell if they get hungry

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I throw mine in the kitchen sink for a few hours before I go. While I'm out I will either cover it up good to keep the frost off or I will keep it in a bucket of water in a zip-loc bag.

One thing I do is precut some bait before it freezes. If I head out unexpectedly its easier get a chunk out and on the hook verses trying to thaw out a chunk, then cut it.

Last night it was so cold that I had to stick a toasty toes foot warmer on the bottom of my worm container to keep them from freezing.......LOL...it worked good too ; )

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rollo thanks for sharing a good tip.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like them to not be fully thawed out...and I'm a wimp, and don't fish in freezing weather, SO...I'm more concerned with keeping them cold.

Marko!.....Rollo! :shut-mouth: