quick question

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by river_runner_85, Aug 12, 2008.

1. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I was thinking about fishing Smithville Lake later on this fall. Has anyone fished it and have you done any good up there. And what kind of bait do you usually use?

2. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I used to fish Smithville often. It is just too expensive to drive up there and then pay the $16 for the day pass or the $90 for the year pass. Too many people not enough fish. Enough with my $.02 :wink:

I have heard that some fish are being caught at the north end by the river with shad sides and fresh cut bait.

4. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    my future in laws live up there. i know a lot of people that do the bass tourneys up there but im not much into bass fishing. i have never tried to fish it but i was just curious if i wanted to do so this fall. i only live about 15 mins away from it that is why i asked. but for now i am sticking to the rivers.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    They were working on my motor up there at Smithville Marine thought I would run over to the lake drop the boat in make sure they fixed everything right.Ran over to the lake to launch and they told me how much it would be to launch.I told 'em I just wanted to launch not rent a slip. I told the guy he should be wearing a mask charging that much and I turned around and left.:angry:

6. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    oh i know it is outrageous what they want to charge just to put on the lake for a day. they are just happily taking your money from you as you do so. yeah i go up there with the future in laws all the time. they have a ski boat and they go every weekend but they spent the money on the year pass. i guess that is one reason you don't see alot of people fishing it unless it is for the bass tourneys up there.

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    just so ya know i think smithville is related to jesse james so they know how to take your money also the more they charge ya to get in the less ya have to spend on alcohol it all works out. less folks fishin less folks drinkin more fish for those that can afford it I'll take the kaw any day

8. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    no doubt and the good thing about that is i only live about 15 mins from kaw point so i hook the boat up and go. i would rather fish the river any day.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    not familar with your area, good luck fishing

10. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Smithville Lake can be very good. The price to put your boat in is nuts sure, but it is, what it is. Same thing with many of the lakes around the city, you gotta pay to play. It's much better to pay yearly if your going to go through out the year. Since your ready to pay and ready to fish. My advice to you would be to ask around at some of the bait shops close by. If I was going into it with no knowledge of whats going on. I would pick and chose spots and never spend more than fifteen minutes in one spot if nothing is going on. Keep going until you find them. Kinda treat it like bass fishing. Drift fishing would cover alot of ground as well. Me personally when I use to fish Smithville, I always did well in coves near deeper water with good structure in the northern part of the lake in September.

11. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff: I live close to smithville lake and fish it quite a bit, sometimes it can be pretty good for channel cat, ocassionaly a blue, and once in awhile a flathead, but this year has been pretty slow for me. Don't know why, just not catching fish like the past. I use cut shad mostly, I try other things but nothing seems to work as good as fresh cut shad. If you would like to try it out sometime pm me and we can try to get together. I have a season pass but I am a senior so it is a little cheaper for me. :roll_eyes:

12. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Sounds good to me. I haven't fished up there in probably 7 or 8 years. Used to go up there all the time and bank fish. Never did too bad up there.

13. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    stay on the river jeff

14. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    jeff,
    i always launch my boat up in plattsburg and go down from there. it is free to launch your boat there. i have been doing pretty good. i caught a 15 lb. blue there last night in avout 7 foot of water. so the cats seem to be in the shallows. :big_smile: good luck fishing jeff. hope this helps.