Quick question on holding fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ryang, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When you hold a fish by its gill plates does that hurt them? I see pics of some of you and others holding big fish by the gill plates and was just wondering. I doubt Ill ever have the chance to hold something that big but I would think that holding them that way would hurt them.

Oh in case you were wondering Im not dogging on anyone that does hold them that way Im just asking a question please if there are others with negative feelings dont post them here just post what your experience is. Thanks all

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I suppose if your catch is headed for the dinner table, it doesn't matter how you hold it.

But putting your fingers in the gills is generally considered a bad practice if you intend to release your catch. Holding a large fish vertically is also a bad practice, but you'll see many many photos of guys with huge flatheads or blues hanging by the jaw. And some will probably tell you "it don't hurt 'em none" -- but unless you follow the fish around for weeks or months, you won't know if it really lived or not after you released it.

Here are some general Catch & Release guidelines from the Ontario (Canada) Ministry of Natural Resources (http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishing/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf) - they apply to most species of fish, not just touk-wearing Canuck fish...

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ya just gotta stir it dont ya BG :lol:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think that that particular pic is alright, the fish looks dead.:roll_eyes:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I nomally hold my by the mouth like u do a bass.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    my dad always tell me that i have a gift for handleing cats without getting stuck. but thats just talking about fish under 12 pounds. when i do get my first good sized flathead im gunna try to be as gentle as possible as i do with any fish that goes back out. so im not sure if it hurts the fish or not but i wouldnt want someone holding on to my lungs up in the air. :roll_eyes:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That flathead is dead and its not feeling any pain.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    So ya wade out with yer rubber net, needlenose pliers, camera, wet gloves, while all the while landing the fish; which means ya got to be on to a rod an reel....what orifice is that in? No wonder Canada don't have any nukes, if it takes 4 men & a boy ta catch an release a fish. What the heck ya gonna do if yer alone in the dark? Just have ta cut yer line cause ah shucks, I caught a fish....forgot what I was doing there for a minute.
    ???
    :lol:
    This isn't negative. It's furtive. I'm still learning. But THAT was a fun read.
    Makes me wonder what the guidelines for bear hunting is up there, Ya heah.

10. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have alway held a live fish by the lip. It definatly makes for an interesting time trying to land them or get them in the boat, especially if they are of any size. Seems to me if your going to release the fish then you should try and be as easy as possible on it. Thanks for the post.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont mess with the gills unless i have to retreave a deep hook. i always hold them by the lower jaw. i klnow this is ok because of the recatches of the same fish(distinct marking) from one year to the next.

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Holding a fish buy the gills ain't gonna hurt no more than that hot grease and my teeth. HAHAHA.

13. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for asking about this - and thanks to Mr T for the info. It's nice to know what the "offical line" is on some of those issues. (I wonder how much, if any, of that would change from Canada all the way down here to SC?) Seems like almost everytime I ask a question about what we're "supposed" to do, I get many different answers - all starting with "Well, I've always heard..."

I have wondered for a while about the chances the fish (or anything - my boys seem to be good turtle fishermen! :smile2:) have for surviving after swallowing the hook. I know we're supposed to cut the line and let the hook corrode, but is that gonna happen fast enough for the fish to live? I have no idea how any of y'all would know that - it's not like you've been able to follow the last fish that got hooked deep - but any info would be appreciated. Thanks.​

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just remember that a fishes primary defense against disease and skin parasites is the slime coat.So handle them gently and try not to remove the slime.The worst enemy of fish that I see landed, is that generally they hit the deck first,which in the summer time is usually scorching hot,then they flop around,losing more and more of their slime.I have a cheap carpet about 3x5 on my deck and I keep it wet simply by dunking it every now and then.If you cant stand on the deck in barefeet without hopping around imagine how it feels to the fish.Often that is why they reflexively bounce up off the deck.If you intend to eat them no problem but a fish like T has in his avatar should be handled gently if you intend to release it with the best chance of survival.:lol::smile2:

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here ya go JenJen, this is a good read and applies to all fish. Spread the word girl! :cool2: http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns/hook_in_out.shtml

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've never gut-hooked a fish while using circle hooks. Of course, I've blinded plenty of them in one eye though, so circle hooks aren't a cure-all. But they'll absolutely give fish a better chance of survival than J hooks and (especially) treble hooks.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have to admit that even on big fish, i hold them by the jaw. i have some 'battle scars' to show off as well. every now and then, like on eaters like the one in my avatar, you'll see me holding in the gills and by the body.
    if i am to release a fish, i don't handle it much, sometimes i just pop the hook out without touching the fish. i too have blinded some fish with the circles, but i have also caught quite a few cats missing one or both eyes, and they didn't look the worse for wear.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks all for the replies like I said Im not trying to call anyone out I was just wanting to know.