Quick Johnson oil question...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by harper81, Feb 21, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I just my picked up my first boat recently and it has a 1994 15hp Johnson. The manual calls for Johnson/Evinrude XD25. The problem is I can't seem to find this oil, its not even listed on the Johnson website. Did the XD30 replace the XD25?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think it did bill but I never stayed with those high price oils after the warranty was out. I have used wal-mart super tech for years with no problems.

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always used the Wal-Mart super tech two cycle oil in my 25hp Johnson and NEVER had any problems at all. I think they tell you to use Johnson oil so you are sending money their way, just like how my new Mercury says to use Mercury oil. Chris

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Bill, the XD25 is formulated for smaller engines. It has different additives and is slightly less viscous than the 30. I always found it at the local Evinrude dealership. He told me that the xd30 would do fine in it, if I couldn't find the 25. A friend has used the Pennzoil from Wallmart in his for years with absolutely no problems at all.

Steve

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <. I have used wal-mart super tech for years with no problems.>

<I think they tell you to use Johnson oil so you are sending money their way, just like how my new Mercury says to use Mercury oil.>

These are correct statements. The WalMart super tech does the same thing much more IN-expensively.

Bill in SC