Quick Fire For One

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Katmandeux, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Take a #10 (3 pound coffee) can and punch a bunch of holes in the side next to the bottom with a churchkey.

Place a wadded up sheet of paper in the bottom, and then pile kindling and thumb sized branches on top of the paper 'till the can is as full as you can get it. Light the paper.

As soon as the fire is going (3 minutes or so), place a small square of expanded metal on top of the can, and start cooking. The fire will last long enough to cook a single serving of meat such as beef, venison, pork, brats, etc. Chicken takes too long for this, though.

I have used this for years...it really works well. You have to be ready to cook before you light the fire...it's that fast.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very resourceful little stove, thanks for sharing with us.

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for sharing thats a good Idea.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Great Idea Dave, But how many of these young folks would know what a church key is.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey now, I knew what it was...learned that one while I was bartending, had an older crowd of regulars that liked to give me a hard time. A churchkey was the subject of one particular jabbing I took from them.

6. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    ok, I'm one of those people who doesn't know what a church key is:embarassed: can someone enlighten me?:smile2:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  8. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks! I've never heard them called that:eek:oooh:

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Church keys were before pop tops on beer cans. lol

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can also make a quick and portable heater with a coffe can a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of alcohol.

Just put the roll of toilet paper in the can and then the bottle of alcohol. Let the toilet paper soak up the alcohol. Light it when ya need it it will burn for a long time. It can even be used when hunting for it is scentless. When your done with it just put the lid back on to smother the fire out and you can carry it home to restock the alcohol and reuse it next time.

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I almost forgot.... you can take a big coffee can and put holes all the way around the sides with a church key at the closed end, turn it over onto the smaller coffee can with the toilet tissue in it and cook with this set up also.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have and use occasionally, a pepsi stove. It's a stove that uses alcohol, made from a Pepsi can.
    Nothing like a good hot mug of coffee in the boat late at night. It only takes a few minutes with a couple of teaspoons of alcohol.