Quick DNR lake question...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Mar 9, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    There is a DNR lake about 15min. from Sumter and I have managed to catch a few cats there in the past, but now I got this boat I want to head up there. The lake has a 7.5 hp limit which I exceed. Does anyone know if I have to remove the motor or can I just tilt it up and not use it? Its only a 75 acre lake so the trolling motor is all I would need anyway.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I "think", as long as your motor is tilted up, you will be OK. Better get more than my word though, before you go.

Bill in SC

3. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    i think u have to take the gas tank out but get with the dnr

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Tilt it up!

5. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Tilt up and remove tank! The local DNR lakes in the upstate require this, but I think each DNR lake has its own set of rules. I would call your local DNR office. They will usually gladly give you the info. Good Luck.

Steve

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Called the Florence DNR office since they handle that county and the lady didn't seem too sure. she said she believes you just have to tilt it up. I am going to leave the gas tank at home too just too be safe. Hopefully I'll have a report of some caught fishes tonight.

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    No fish. Didn't even see a single arch on the finder. That lake (Ashwood) is shallow and flat. DNR was waiting at the ramp for me though. Not too sure why, but he said my motor was good tilted up. He said I could even crank it up to bump it up on the trailer. They just don't want people zipping across the lake. But he checked the normal items and was on his way. No fish, but even better no tickets from DNR.

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where are these Upstate DNR Lakes?

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    In Spartanburg County they'res Lake Johnson, in Union County they'res Lake John D. Long and Jonesville Reservoir, Cherokee County its Lake Thicketty and Lake Cherokee.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    All of them are stocked with channel cats and I've caught channels in four of the lakes. I've only catfished in the two lakes in Cherokee County and just bassfished the other lakes but caught cats anyway.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Alot of it depends on the lake itself. I've fished two that you have to take the prop off the motor.This is true..:wink:

12. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    my understanding of ashwood has always been that the motor has to be rmoved but if u talked to dnr i guess they know better than me. i assume u talked to dexter(heavyset black guy) hes really easy to get along with and hes gonna be the main guy over lee county so u can take his word to heart.

13. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Another great DNR-managed lake is Lake Rabun in Laurens County, especially this time of year. It's a helluva crappie hole and there are some big ones in there. They've got a 9.9hp limit. I know a couple of guys who go out on it in their big G3 and Lund boats and only use the little kicker motors. I've fished it a couple of times myself and like I said, it's a great little panfish lake.